Suggest a Motobecane Under $500.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011

New question here. Suggest a Motobecane Under $500.

I regret canceling the Cliff Windsor 4900. In retrospect, that was a great deal.

I'm looking for a bike to fit a 5'5" male and female. I want good components out of the box, and a bike comparable or better than a Specialized Hardrock Disc.

Suggestions?

ETA: I dig the Outcast 29ers posted here.

Too big for me? Tell me about single-speed as opposed to multi-speed.
    Last edited by firemark; 07-17-2011 at 08:54 AM.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by firemark View Post

Tell me about single-speed as opposed to multi-speed.
    SS is for a bad ass, gears make most hills rideable. On a SS unless your riding on the flatlands you can plan on walking some hills and spinning out on the flats. Its a lot of fun too, just different. There is more to it of course, I would suggest a visit to the SS forum, poke around there, maybe ask some questions.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Just demoed a rigid single speed Niner Sir9 yesterday. Didn't get enough time on it to tell you much except that IMHO you would need to be in GREAT shape to effectively ride one. And man was the thing light. I imagine that it was considerably lighter than the Motobecane though since the SIR9 frame alone lists for $799, and this one was kitted with SRAM XO components.
    Quote Originally Posted by STT GUY View Post
    Screw the search function... you're new, ask the question(s). If anyone gets thier undies in a bunch it's thier problem.

mtbr member
    For something not on sale $500 is a tough pricepoint trying to balance value and cost. Bikes tend to be heavy and the components can be heavily compromised.

As far as SS...I think one typically starts off geared and then transitions into SS when needing a new challenge.
    Mike
    2011 Moto Fly Pro

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I just got my Moto Fantom 29Pro for 699 in a 15" frame. Cannot say enough good stuff to say about this bike. Shock is smooth and has remote lockout if you go paved, shifts easy, brakes are tight... Yes it's a bit over your budget but the upgrades are worth it. If you need a change, buy a frame and transfer the components. Better than buying a whole new bike. I too wanted to stay about 500 when I started looking a month ago and after not finding any deals, realizing I should spend more money now, upped my budget to a grand at a LBS and still came out ahead with a better bike... Just a thought...

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    600HT is the best buy in a 26" HT @$499 and not a bad bike to start out on.

Gravity 29point1 is the best 29er, but for $50 more the Grvety29point2 is a bit nicer.

The outcast is fine too, but SS is usually not for weekend warriors as you need to keep your fitness at a pretty good level to SS effectively.

I suggest Ebay and Craigs list and if you are patient I'm sure you will find a better bang for your buck, especially in a 26" HT.
    26FS & 29Rigid... best of both worlds

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    My wife rides the Moto 400HT and loves it. I'm thinking of getting the 600HT frame and swapping my components over. If you're to build a bike, the sette reken frame is a good bike too. Or, if you're willing to spend a little more, the sette reken bike (rather than just frame) comes with full deore for fairly cheap.

mtbr member
    2013 Moto 450 HT, then upgrade the fork!

Bikesexual
    Only upgrade the fork if you are doing major advanced trails, mine handles just fine in beginner and intermediate... of course I'm new so I'm not the best reference point but boy have I spent time reading these posts for advice, I'll upgrade my fork when I upgrade my bike next year, yes it is a bit of pogo effect as you will read, but again, depends on your level of trails and what you are planning to do.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit
    Surly Cross-Check

mtbr member
    Yeah, I've been riding a Novara Bonanza with a Rockshox Dart 1. Seems similar to the Suntour on the 450HT. Pretty much, any fork that is only a spring with no dampening is tossable. Sell it, upgrade to at least something with dampening and rebound. Will have to wait a little, just adjusted the bike tonight and found I got a bent rear derailleur hanger from BD... Emailed them so will have to see their response.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Check out ebay, there's a 15" Fantom 29 Trail (2011) selling for $419 + $39 shipping. They have 2 left last I checked.