Stripped Torx Mount on Front Brake Rotor- Mtbr.com

Oct 2008

Bonking ... not feelin' well Stripped Torx Mount on Front Brake Rotor

Finally got some time today to assemble my Fantom 29Pro SL.

Was putting on the front disc rotor, and according to specs in the Avid Elixir manual, those torx screws/bolts need to be tightened to 55 in./lbs. With a new Craftsman torque wrench, I had one Torx up to about 20-25 in./lbs. when I felt it give. Sure enough, it stripped out the mount. Much cursing ensued.

Any advice? Am I going to have to replace the front hub assembly to get a working rotor mount? Will I have to rebuild the entire wheel?

What a downer. I was hoping to get to ride this weekend.
    Last edited by GuyOnBike; 10-29-2009 at 02:52 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    wow ,stripped at half the reccommended torque,i saw 110 lb/inch as a tightening spec, i think that might be 10 ft lbs. Put the torque wrench down, return it,Just tighten m5 bolts like a m5 bolt would normally be tightened. What type of hub is it ,there might be room for a helicoil thread replacement, you'll need a shop that is equiped with that kit.

Oct 2008
    Sorry, that was a typo. I mean in./lbs. and typed ft./lbs. Long day.

Oct 2008
    Correct me if I'm wrong. 55 in/lb. is something on the order of 4.6 ft/lb, right? Since my torque wrench is graduated every 2.5 ft/lbs., I was shooting for just at/before 5.

Seems like the easiest fix is to buy a new front hub, and rebuild the wheel, or just have a shop rebuild my wheel for me. No point in wasting the rim and spokes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    a helicoil is actually not that hard ,there needs to be room(material around the existing hole the hub) and you have to have the kit,i see them for under 40 dollars. i've heard of people going with missing boltsor broken bolts for a long time,if it's just one. I'd helicoil.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Helicoil would be an easy fix, or just run one bolt short. The WW guys have been known to cut down to just 3 bolts for the weight savings

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    oh , just thought of something, if they use 15mm long bolts to hold the disk on, you could try a 20mm long regular bolt,what ever will clear the fork, and if there are a few god threads left at the bottom of the hole,you can grind or trim the bolt a bit,it might not even be necessary , though room for threads is usually pretty sparce on most hubs.

Oct 2008
    I think I'll try the helicoil kit. Good call guys. Thanks.

Oct 2008
    Great video. Should be a piece of cake as soon as I can get the kit. Thanks again. I didn't know these kits existed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFYa6sjhh_E

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Just ride it minus the bolt. The idea of a longer bolt is good too. Just dont torque that bolt as much. Only buy the helicoil kit if you need to... I stripped 1/4 granny gear bolts on my crankset. Instead of spending $$ on fixing or new crank, Im riding with only 3 bolts. It hasnt been a problem yet. If it does, Ill replace it. No money lost... You have 6 bolts on the hub. Riding with 5 shouldnt be a problem.

Members who have read this thread: 0