Sram crank gxp bb play?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2011

Sram crank gxp bb play?

Hey guys i just got my Gravity 29.3 a couple of days ago and took it out on the trails and everything feels great except i have a little play on the non drive side of my cranks. About a millimeter. Ive done some research on the problem and apparently it's been a problem in sram gxp crank combos. The unfortunate thing is I havent found a solution yet. Im planning on taking the crank off today, greasing, and reassembeling hopeing it will take care of my issue. Has anyone else had similar issues?

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowboarderdude View Post
    Hey guys i just got my Gravity 29.3 a couple of days ago and took it out on the trails and everything feels great except i have a little play on the non drive side of my cranks. About a millimeter. Ive done some research on the problem and apparently it's been a problem in sram gxp crank combos. The unfortunate thing is I havent found a solution yet. Im planning on taking the crank off today, greasing, and reassembeling hopeing it will take care of my issue. Has anyone else had similar issues?
    I had that problem with my force roads cranks and gxp. I called sram and they said they had a problem with the production of the non-drive side bearing caps (the plastic piece the spindle goes into). The inner diameter was a little too big and left a little wiggle room. Any sram dealer can order you the updated piece that fits tighter.
    Last edited by 92gli; 06-06-2011 at 10:38 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    I had that problem with my force roads cranks and gxp. I called sram and they said they had a problem with the production of the non-drive side bearing caps (the plastic piece the spindle goes into). They were a hair too small and left a little wiggle room. Any sram dealer can order you the updated piece that fits tighter.
    alright. I pulled the cranks off relubed everything and tightned and everything seems to be solid. I'm hopefully going riding tommorow so I will see if it stays tights. Im not sure wether i have the set with the correct seals or the wrong seals. is there a way to tell or if you bought after a certain time you are ok?

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowboarderdude View Post
    alright. I pulled the cranks off relubed everything and tightned and everything seems to be solid. I'm hopefully going riding tommorow so I will see if it stays tights. Im not sure wether i have the set with the correct seals or the wrong seals. is there a way to tell or if you bought after a certain time you are ok?
    They didn't ask me any particular details off the box or anything. The guy just asked me if I did the loosening/more grease/re-tightening process at least 3 times. When i said yes he told me about the new piece. Comparing the 2 you need to measure them with a caliper to know the new one has a slightly different inner diameter, They look identical otherwise and are marked the same.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    ok so i rode to my lbs to pick up a cable for another bike and the play returned... i showed the bike to the head mechanic and he immediatly said the bb was shot. i then told him the bike was a week old and had only 3 hours on a single track. He said there was a small chance that the bb was just loose but most likely it was shot. Shot after 3 hours on mellow single track? are you serious. I sent an email to bd so we will see what happens.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    So last night i pulled off the cranks again to look at the bottom bracket to try and figure out if it was shot and i realized that im missing a seal on the non drive side of the bb. Im thinking this is where all my play is coming from. Hopefully i can find just the seal instead to havng to buy a whole bb.