Some Questions for Fly Ti 29 owners...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Some Questions for Fly Ti 29 owners...

It's time for a new ride, and I'm seriously considering a Fly Ti 29er. I'm currently riding a Yeti 575, and its overkill for my kind of riding. I do mostly 1-2 hr rides, on everything from fire roads to techy New England singletrack. So here are some questions:

1) I'm 5'8", 30" inseam. Should I get the 15.5"? What size stem? think I might need a 120mm?
    2) What size stem comes with 15.5"? Does BikesDirect let you swap stems for something longer?
    3) For those of you who've switched to this as your primary bike from a 26FS: would you do it again? Do you miss your FS bike? I can only have one bike so I don't want to regret this later...
    4) I'd probably run this with a Thudbuster seatpost. Anyone else doing this? Is it effective?

I've been riding FS since '97, but the idea of a light, comfortable, "flickable" 29HT that climbs well is pretty appealing. Just not sure if I should take the plunge. FWIW, the other bike I'm seriously considering is the SC Superlight.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Puzman
    1) I'm 5'8", 30" inseam. Should I get the 15.5"? What size stem? think I might need a 120mm?

Check the other fly sizing thread. There's a guy there of your size.

2) What size stem comes with 15.5"? Does BikesDirect let you swap stems for something longer?

110mm, no idea on swapping.

3) For those of you who've switched to this as your primary bike from a 26FS: would you do it again? Do you miss your FS bike? I can only have one bike so I don't want to regret this later...

I flip between riding a Fly and a Scott Spark 26er. The 26er is more comfortable but over the same 50 mile course the Fly is faster by 15 minutes.

4) I'd probably run this with a Thudbuster seatpost. Anyone else doing this? Is it effective?

Skip the thudbuster and just mount up a nice high volume tire. I rotate between 2.25 Ardents or 2.2 Saguaros. Keep the pressure as low as you can comfortable go. I'm 160lbs and run 22f 24r.

I've been riding FS since '97, but the idea of a light, comfortable, "flickable" 29HT that climbs well is pretty appealing. Just not sure if I should take the plunge. FWIW, the other bike I'm seriously considering is the SC Superlight.

Flickable and 29er are not words that you'll find used together. For techy trails, I'd stick with a 26er while 29ers excel at fire roads. 29ers are also a blast on technical climbs as long as you have the legs to keep the wheels turning.

If you can have only one, I'd recommend that you borrow/rent a 29er to see how you like it before taking the leap. To me, they drive like a school bus but I love the way a 29er rolls over stuff and maintains momentum.

O

Trail Ninja
    I'd recommend the 17.5. I'm 5' 7" and have the 15.5" and it's a bit on the small side for me, despite having minimal standover clearance (not really important in my book anyways).

15.5" comes with a 100mm stem. I pulled it out and have it sitting in front of me to make sure. I asked for this and they said they can't since they're assembled at factory, boxed up, and sealed ready to drop ship from warehouse. It's not a model that they have stock of in the bikes, since they sell out so fast. Pre-ordered bikes likely don't even cross their path.

A 29er HT will not replace a 26 FS sufficiently--having a Ti frame and bigger wheels doesn't make it anywhere near as compliant as FS. From riding experience, it seems they made this Ti frame to be stiffer than typical alu ones, to address the 29er acceleration issue. It replaced a 26 HT for me (I sold a 29er SS, which I regretably found was different enough to keep along with this) and I just moved away from NY catskills terrain and can say that it's not that great for that terrain. My [larger] 29er SS did better despite suffering/walking on climbs.

I can't say anything on Thudbuster. I haven't/wouldn't consider it. You'd need a 400mm seatpost if you go 15.5. 350 should be barely enough on a 17.5, I imagine. It uses a 27.2mm diameter post, so post options will be limited.

Regarding 29ers and being flickable, I agree with the previous poster and say that bikes taking advantage of 29er wheels would do better moving away from BMX/DJ style "flickable" geo. You can't have a bike that "does it all" unfortunately. I have to admit that he Fly Ti is relatively flickable and bounces off ramp-like rocks for air, and can do part whips/tabletops, but the parts don't hold up to that riding. I actually wish it were more stable and stuck to the ground more. A rabidly aggressive bike man-handling madman, I am not. A lot of push and pull required to keep it smooth and stuck to the ground for decent control in descents I previously rode through comfortably at higher speed with firm control. I started out aggressive, but of string of numerous pinch flats in the rear has caused me to reconsider my style until I can afford a wheelset to address the issue (rear Vuelta doesn't convert to tubeless very well, but the front does--front isn't very strong though...already part-taco).

As Fly Ti 29ers are in short supply, GL getting one (pre-order early is the best bet). It would be good to have to compliment your Yeti 575, but it definitely won't replace it. The Ti Fly may have won MTBR Reader's Choice, but I think that's a popularity contest more than anything. Not very different from seeing a car win "most popular (or best selling) car in America". Better to pick something you know would be the right one for you in the long run.

If you feel your Yeti is letting you down, you should maybe check out getting the shocks rebuilt and tuned professionally and maybe change the tires and wheels for a whole new feeling bike. I'd prefer an overbuilt bike to a lightweight one with parts that fail and feels lacking.

Despite all the downsides I mentioned, I feel that once I change out the wheels, it'll be fun to ride aggressive again, back to the point I wish I had stronger brakes/larger rotors to go screaming fast and not end up flying off the side of the trail.
    Last edited by Varaxis; 12-05-2010 at 02:19 PM.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    I'm 5'9 with a 30" inseam. I have a 15.5 set up with a thomson offset post and a 90mm stem. It feels plenty "flickable" to me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    If I remember they run pretty close to Fisher's in size, find your nearest trek store to sit on a couple. I have a 19in and love it for east coast riding.

Members who have read this thread: 0