SOLDOUT… Disappointed!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2009

SOLDOUT… Disappointed!

After looking forward to a new bike since the middle of last summer I finally have cash in hand and Bikes Direct is sold out of the Fantom PRO 29. What’s more, my wife has now approved me stepping up to the FLY XO 29er Ti (3x10)… SOLDOUT as well. Anybody know how long till they are back in stock?

Bummed
    Gary
    Kool-Aid, Kool-Aid, Taste Great... Oh Yeaahh!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by All_talk
    After looking forward to a new bike since the middle of last summer I finally have cash in hand and Bikes Direct is sold out of the Fantom PRO 29. What’s more, my wife has now approved me stepping up to the FLY XO 29er Ti (3x10)… SOLDOUT as well. Anybody know how long till they are back in stock?

Bummed
    Gary
    They're supposed to be supplying more this spring; according to Mike.

DynoDon
    The FLY XO 29 Ti 20 speed is in, I got a flier today, $2099, maybe the 30 speed is next,, good luck

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I say go 20 spd....30 spd is going to to have a lot of useless gears.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Get the 20 spd. A bike that light doesn't need a 22 tooth granny.

29ering
    Jan 2011
    20spd lighter than 30spd

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Update: I sold off some more stuff, upped my budget and decided to go FS, bought a Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29er last week.

And, the 2x10 Fly wouldn’t work for me, I’m old and slow and need a spin gear for the stuff I climb (The Stumpy has a 22T x 36T).
    Kool-Aid, Kool-Aid, Taste Great... Oh Yeaahh!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Yep. just bought one of the 20spd Ti X0's....

Gotta wait til May 4th i guess
    Scott Scale 29 RC
    Yeti ASR5 Carbon

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    BD is missing sales because of no inventory. It is tax refund season and folks want bikes. I love BD and am a huge referal for them. They are out of stock on bikes they just started selling. I have 2 friends that have now bought elsewhere. IMO they got less for their money but did not want to wait.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Cool-blue Rhythm

LOL, I'm old and slow too, but a variety of fireroads and ST, rocks etc here in SoCal;

I gotta try this 2x10, Ti and 29er thing. Why not all at once!?

Today I did 23m and 3300ft of climbing, most of which I think the 29er Ti Fly should be pretty darn good on...

If it shakes my skull and bones toooo much, I'll switch the components over to a FS Niner...

But I'm gonna give it a shot for a while
    Scott Scale 29 RC
    Yeti ASR5 Carbon

mtbr member
    Yeah, they're definitely losing out on sales... I just got my refund & was about to hit the purchase button and.... SOLDOUT!

Oh well, somewhere else gets the business...

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Ya this is pretty sad when you want to spend money but there is no product. I guess I will have to buy something else now.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I emailed BD about when they expect to have more 15.5" Fly Ti 29er XO or XXs back in stock and I was told August! They just lost another customer, because I need a bike and I am going to spend $3K+ and they were going to get my money, but I am not waiting until the end of summer to get a bike! So long BD, wish I could have been riding one of your bikes this summer.

newfydog
    May 2009
    I can't see why everyone is so quick to dump the triple. I may be a bit old, and slower than I was, but I use those gears all the time. When I wasn't old I held the record for Vail pass. I still can climb ok, perhaps because I was taught to spin by the old school riders.

With the advent of single speeds, stomping a big gear is common. We were taught that'll do in your knees eventually. Maybe that's a crock, we'll see down the road.

Anyway, everytime I've gotten a lower gear, I've found a use for it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    2 bikes I wanted sold out and no shipments until June and july. There goes business for them getting something else can't wait that long.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I wanted the 29er XO in 15.5. Of course sold out, so settled for the XTR version. Can't wait!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

15.5 size?

For you guys/gals that are buying the 15.5 Motobecane, I am wondering what size would work for me? I am 5'6, with a 32" inseam and I have had all different answers on which one to order. Do you think the 15.5 would work for me? Thanks.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Megas
    For you guys/gals that are buying the 15.5 Motobecane, I am wondering what size would work for me? I am 5'6, with a 32" inseam and I have had all different answers on which one to order. Do you think the 15.5 would work for me? Thanks.
    You're talking about the 29er right ? I'm taller than you, 5'9", and I ride the 15.5. I think if you got the next size up it might be a little too long for you.

Low Rep Count
    I got my moto from Bike Island. Not sure if they are one in the same but might be worth checking what their inventory is looking like.

Low Rep Count
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli
    You're talking about the 29er right ? I'm taller than you, 5'9", and I ride the 15.5. I think if you got the next size up it might be a little too long for you.

Well, I'm 5'9" and ride a med which I believe is a 17. I have an outcast 29 and currently have a 350mm post that is maxed out (litterally at the min isertion marker-waiting for new post to arrive). My inseam is right about 33". I have long arms too though so the med is just a better fit for me. Honestly at 5'6" I would think that the 15.5 would be the right size for you.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 1SPD
    I got my moto from Bike Island. Not sure if they are one in the same but might be worth checking what their inventory is looking like.
    They're the closeouts and surplus parts division of BD. They won't have the out of stock bikes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Soldout bikesdirect.....yea I hear ya'.
    I spent lots of time researching for my first mountain bike. Went to order, sold out. I emailed them and they recommended a more expensive bike. I replied, sell it for the same as the bike I wanted and I'll take it. Reply was prices are not negotiable, well neither is my budget! Bikesdirect needs to keep their website updated before spending time here. Heck, the bike I tried to order in my size is still showing on the website.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Some of you guys act like they don't want to sell more bikes. Its not a conspiracy to make you want it and then not give it to you. Coordinating frame manufacture, parts availability, assembly and shipping halfway across the world doesn't happen quickly. All of the major manufacturers have a set # of each model they produce, if great press increases demand beyond what they anticipated then people miss out. BD operates the same way.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    If a bike is sold out...then change the website to show this. That's what I'm saying. They know the bikes are sold out so, no excuses. I have tried to order three different bikes but, they are not available upon checkout. I'm not knocking them as I would have liked to buy a bike from them. Don't think it's going to happen though.

Some of you guys act like they don't want to sell more bikes. Its not a conspiracy to make you want it and then not give it to you. Coordinating frame manufacture, parts availability, assembly and shipping halfway across the world doesn't happen quickly. All of the major manufacturers have a set # of each model they produce, if great press increases demand beyond what they anticipated then people miss out. BD operates the same way.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Exactly what drn said. I've seen bikes up there that have been out of stock for 3 weeks now still staying low stock. You do almost all of your business online you would think you would be on top of your site.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by drn33
    If a bike is sold out...then change the website to show this. That's what I'm saying. They know the bikes are sold out so, no excuses. I have tried to order three different bikes but, they are not available upon checkout. I'm not knocking them as I would have liked to buy a bike from them. Don't think it's going to happen though.

X2

I ended up buying my Salsa El Mariachi from Speedgoat, and I love it!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Oops double post.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Soldout bikesdirect.....yea I hear ya'.
    I spent lots of time researching for my first mountain bike. Went to order, sold out. I emailed them and they recommended a more expensive bike. I replied, sell it for the same as the bike I wanted and I'll take it. Reply was prices are not negotiable, well neither is my budget! Bikesdirect needs to keep their website updated before spending time here. Heck, the bike I tried to order in my size is still showing on the website.
    HEAR THIS...
    The first bike of choice I tried to order was a 2010 Motobecane Fantom 29Pro. As I mentioned, the 19" was still on the website as "Low Stock" and was showing as of last night. Out of curiosity, I added one to the cart and clicked checkout. HOLD THE PHONE!...it was available. Not sure why, but I hope I get it. I have been issued a tracking number so...we'll see. Got my fingers crossed.

DynoDon
    Great,, I'll give ya something that'll help.. GOOD LUCK,, but if you have the tracking number you shouldn't need the good luck, enjoy your new ride, Congradulations,, Happy Trails

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

No good

I was set on the Windsor 29er comp. After selling my Trek and a couple other things I went to buy and they were all soldout. I ended up buying a Giant Revel 1 last week. I don't think I could be happier with what I got, but I'll always wonder what if they would have had the 29er in stock. I'd love to give my money away, but you need to supply what I want.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I agree with the out of stock messages.
    Last edited by DennisFranz; 05-04-2011 at 06:53 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Here's the latest...
    I ordered the bike on Sat. April 30th and received a tracking number. As of today, when I check the tracking, UPS has not received the package to ship. Still only shows a shipping label was created. Credit card has been charged. Hmmmm... I wonder what will happen???

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Quote Originally Posted by rftcspeedo
    Exactly what drn said. I've seen bikes up there that have been out of stock for 3 weeks now still staying low stock. You do almost all of your business online you would think you would be on top of your site.
    Having just ordered a Moto Fantom 29 Pro I agree with everyone's frustrations on "Listed stock vs actual availability"

After 2 days of researching their site and having decided on 3 other bikes and having placed everyone in my cart just to find out after the fact they are SOLD OUT was pretty darn frustrating and ended up a major waste of my time...

I too was very close to ordering elsewhere but actually settled on a color I didnt want because they were the only ones left... MatteSilver

I just wish I had known before actually trying to buy them...

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Here's the latest...
    I ordered the bike on Sat. April 30th and received a tracking number. As of today, when I check the tracking, UPS has not received the package to ship. Still only shows a shipping label was created. Credit card has been charged. Hmmmm... I wonder what will happen???
    It says somewhere, either on the site or in the email confirmation, that the tracking number you are given may not be active for some time. I think they even send a tracking number for pre-orders - which may not actually ship for weeks. Its very odd.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Yes, 92 gli, you are correct. That's how it worked for my recent pre-order.

~Reformed Mechanic~
    It says somewhere, either on the site or in the email confirmation, that the tracking number you are given may not be active for some time. I think they even send a tracking number for pre-orders - which may not actually ship for weeks. Its very odd.

This is rather odd way of doing it... But I suppose from their end it saves on the headache emails they get from the "WHERE"S MY TRACKING NUMBER!!??"

I already received my tracking numbers from UPS and Paypal this morning (order placed late last night).

Maybe their onto something... As long as it ships within a reasonable time frame Im happy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Here's the latest...
    I don't mean to "hijack" this thread but, I feel I should follow up to be fair. Tracking is now updated and the bike is leaving Texas today. Delivery date is 5/11. I will follow up again upon delivery.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I don't mean to "hijack" this thread but, I feel I should follow up to be fair. Tracking is now updated and the bike is leaving Texas today. Delivery date is 5/11. I will follow up again upon delivery.
    Follow up as promised...
    UPS left a note on 5/11. Was not home to sign. Bike was delivered late in the day yesterday. The box has no labelinig like the others I have seen on here. It's just blank with what looks to be a cutout from another box (or something) that is taped on to the end. I unboxed the bike ( will put together this weekend) and everything looks good. It has the juicy 3 brakes. NOTE: I am not sure how I got this bike as they were sold out. The packing does look a little old with some dust so, maybe it was tucked in a corner of the warehouse. Glad I got it and looking forward to riding it.

Members who have read this thread: 0