sizing help also- Mtbr.com

Mar 2009

sizing help also

Looking at the 700 H.T. or fantom trail. just under 6 foot inseam is 31.5 longer arms and torso need help with size before i order

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I am 5'10" and ordered a large. I have always bought medium frames and have always felt a bit cramped. Especially in tight single track.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lostemple
    I am 5'10" and ordered a large. I have always bought medium frames and have always felt a bit cramped. Especially in tight single track.
    19" seems to have a 24.5" (622) TT-CC, which seems kind of on a large side for 5'10", but I guess you can size down to 90mm or even 70mm stem if needed - 29r should not mind slightly quicker steering with a shorter stem. 23.6" TT on 17.5" could be somewhat short indeed.

They need to add "stack"/"reach" sizing measurements.

Feb 2009
    I am 5' 10" have a 30 - 31 inseam in pants so I have slightly short legs and long torso, I ride three bikes including one Moto Fly XC all are medium - don't know if that helps any. I do feel slightly cramped and LBS tends to want to put me on a large instead. However I can control the bike better, its lighter , and it performs better. In a road bike I ride a 58 cm which is more in the large category - there i feel more stretched out and like im in a more comfortable cockpit... I think I may be comparing the geometry of my road bike with lartger wheels - but mtn bikes are just way different with the smaller wheels amd needing to negotiate in single track....

Feb 2009
    Personally I think youre a little different than me --- my torso is long and legs are slightly short . If you dont smass your B***s on the top bar youre ok, and if your stretched on the bars change to a shorter stem -- I think it comes with 100 mm stem thats about 4 inches - even fractions of an inch make a biggg difference... also look at the saddle adjustment but caution on moving it too far forward or back

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I have checked out other sites and they recommend 2" from inseam with shoes on. My inseam with shoes on is 32". The Fly Ti 29 states the stand over to be 30.6". That will provide me with just under 1.5" of jewel clearence. I am a little worried, but on my other two medium mountain bikes I have always felt a little cramped. Since I have preordered I wonder if I should change to a medium frame. Any help or opinions wuold be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lostemple
    I have checked out other sites and they recommend 2" from inseam with shoes on. My inseam with shoes on is 32". The Fly Ti 29 states the stand over to be 30.6". That will provide me with just under 1.5" of jewel clearence. I am a little worried, but on my other two medium mountain bikes I have always felt a little cramped. Since I have preordered I wonder if I should change to a medium frame. Any help or opinions wuold be appreciated.
    Top tube length should be the main thing that you look at. you can play around with setback/straight seatpost and plus-minus 20mm on the stem, and 29rs all seem to have an extra half inch compared to 26rs, but in any case that's the most important measurement.

26r Fly Ti is on the short side compared to other M bikes, I have to push the saddle back a bit.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Response from Bikes Direct on sizing

Hello,

As far as sizing we would recommend a 17.5" frame for someone with your measurements, but remember that sizing is a personal preference and the choice is ultimately up to the consumer.

Thanks,
    ST

-----Original Message-----
    To: [email protected]
    Sent: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 11:48 am
    Subject: Sizing

Step 1, Cycling Inseam:
    32”

Step 2, Your Height:
    5’10”

Step 3, Riding Style:
    Lead rides, but like to be comfortable