sizing help- Mtbr.com

Thread: sizing help

mtbr member

sizing help

I am interested in the motobecane fantom uno, singlespeed cyclocross. I'm 5-10 app. 32" inseam. They only have a 52 and 58 cm in stock. Anyone around my size own one or similar geometry motobecane? I sat on a 58cm Specialized, and it felt good, but don't know how that bike compares to the motobecane. I sat on a 56cm surly long haul trucker, and it felt huge, so i'm perplexed.

thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I am the same size as you and I like a 56cm road bike. I could do a 58cm though, depending on the bike. The reason sizing can be different is because on some bikes the seat tube entends farther above the top tube than on other bikes. What you should do is use the standover measurement and top tube length as a guide to how well it would fit. Go to a bike store and try to find a bike with a similar standover measurement and top tube length, that will let you know if it will work. Keep in mind that you have to add 1 inch to the standover because I guess their geometry chart has not been updated.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    I sat on a specialized, it felt long, but ok. Then i sat on a long haul truck at 56 cm, and couldn't touch the ground(surly's website is down to check geo). I was curious if you've ever sat on a 52 or 54? What did you think about going smaller?
    thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    The proper way to size any bike is first by the top tube. You want to find the correct length so that you don't have to use some ridiculous sized stem, or a set back seatpost. Then you want to see if you have enough standover to be comfortable. So a 52 or 54 may work, but I certainly have never seen a 52 or 54 that had a long enough top tube for me to feel right on. If a certain bike you are looking at has the right top tube length but is too big (too little standover), then you should shop for a different brand with different geometry.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

Space for rent...
    I'm 5-10 with a 32" inseam, and ride a 56cm Fantom Cross.
    It's only pain......

Mar 2009
    Hey I plan on ordering a fantom 29Pro so I can get back out on the trails. I just wanted to see what size you guys would recommend. I'm 6 foot with 32'' inseam and long arms(no measurement). I went to my local LBS and rode some garys, specialized, and cannondales. For each one I was told I need a 19'', but from reading the forums here it appears that motobecanes run large. Is this true. Should I go with the 17''?

Shifted
    Feb 2009
    Anyone know if a Large Fantom PRo DS full suspension is adequate for a guy 200lbs 6'3", little bit longer legs than normal and has 76.5" wingspan?

I'm looking to order a bike tonight! just got my bonus check today, woohoo!

Thanks!

Jan 2009
    I need some motobecane sizing help too. I'm going to order a 600ht but Im not sure if I should order the 17 or the 19 Im 5'10" and about a 30in inseam and I hear they run big so should I go 17 or 19?

Shifted
    Feb 2009
    I ended up buying a 2008 Kona Hei Hei 2-9 in their Large Flavor.
    back at it
    2014 Trek Stache 7.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Hello,

As far as sizing we would recommend a 17.5" frame for someone with your measurements, but remember that sizing is a personal preference and the choice is ultimately up to the consumer.

Thanks,
    ST

-----Original Message-----
    To: [email protected]
    Sent: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 11:48 am
    Subject: Sizing

Step 1, Cycling Inseam:
    Step 2, Your Height:
    Step 3, Riding Style:
    Lead rides, but like to be comfortable
    Step 4, Budget/Type of Bike:
    Fly Team Ti 29