Sizing a 29er: Do we need MORE INFO or not?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Sizing a 29er: Do we need MORE INFO or not?

I ordered a 15" Fantom Pro SL tonight.

I am 5'10" tall with a 32" inseam in shoes.

The spec 15" seemed small compared to other older 26" frames, but the standover height of 30.5" listed is exactly the same as my 18" Trek 4500 26"er which is 30.5" dead center of top tube.

Of course now I see posts where people are going larger than need be to be safe, but doesn't it seem like we are not allowing for the larger wheel and higher standover due to the wheel?

The top tube is also 1-2" longer than my Trek which to me says the bike would have more room in a smaller frame then my Trek does.

So does it sound like I bought too small, or does it sound like people are ignoring Moto's chart and just buying what they are used to buying from the old 26" days???

Maybe we can get Bikes Direct to add to this thread to clarify things?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I went with the 15" frame and it is perfectly sized for me.

I ride bicycles sometimes
    i got the 17" and its still in the mail. Im also 5.10 and 32 inseam. I can let you know as soon it as i have it all together.

Aug 2008
    got my son a fly pro 29 17". I'm 5'11" 32" inseam. I rode it today and it's perfect size for me. My bike is a 18" fly pro 26er. his bike feels bigger.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuze911
    i got the 17" and its still in the mail. Im also 5.10 and 32 inseam. I can let you know as soon it as i have it all together.
    The 15" is just right for me. It is a possibility I have slightly shorter arms.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rptbkr
    got my son a fly pro 29 17". I'm 5'11" 32" inseam. I rode it today and it's perfect size for me. My bike is a 18" fly pro 26er. his bike feels bigger.
    I agree the 29er is going to feel larger. Also on the Pro SL version the bar clamp is very long.

I ride bicycles sometimes
    Just got the bike together and the 17 fits me great! Ill report later this weekend when i do some more riding!

newble
    Jul 2009
    I'm a 31.5 ish in seem and I got a 15'. Still waiting to build it.

No-Brakes Cougar
    My inseam is a little over 30" and the 15" frame size is perfect for me. You want at least a little more top tube clearance than you would on a road bike
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I bought the medium frame and it fits me perfectly. For a XC bike lots of clearance for the family jewels is not as important as an All Mountain bike. I am 5'10" with a 31.5" inseam and with my mtbr shoes on I have roughly an inch of clearance.

Members who have read this thread: 0