Sizing [Hal Boost 29er]- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2018

New question here. Sizing [Hal Boost 29er]

Hey guys. Looking for recco's on sizing relative to BD suggestions on their site. Im a short 6'2" with 33.5" inseam tipping the scales @ 220lb with riding gear.

I passed a similar message to Bikes Direct and they pointed be towards the 48cm (L?) frame. Though they make a larger 52cm (XL?) it was not in stock. I am hopeful and trust they were passing along the right sizing not just what was in stock that may "work".

The enginerd in me goes by the motto; Trust but Verify.

Have you found BD sizing to be accurate for the HalBoost 29er Full Sus. model?

Whats your size and riding style and what bike did you choose?

FWIW, my riding style is geared toward all day riding comfort and fun vs. squeezing maximum speed potential from every corner.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    BD Hal Boost 29er Geo

Above is the geo chart sent to me from Chris @ BD if this of use to anyone.

mtbr member
    I had the same experience and was pointed toward the L frame by BD. I compared that geo chart with other bikes for months myself. It has been a good fit and I have even put on a shorter stem which made the cockpit even shorter from stock. Sizing is a personal thing and I like a bigger bike myself. I think I could have been just as happy with the XL frame. I used to be 6'-1" but have shrunk a half inch over the years. I'm 250 lbs and ride aggressively for my skill level which I would say is intermediate to advanced. Or at least it was on my hardtail- now with a full susser I'm learning again! My personal thought is you are in between L and XL. If you are looking for an all around trail bike maybe size up. The question is- do you like a bigger bike feel or more compact?

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Thanks Metal. I am right in line with your thoughts. I noticed the stem length was a little longer than "modern" setups which would lead me to the XL size for more options.

I wouldn't be able to lengthen out the cockpit on a L as the stem length is already quite long @ 80mm for the L.

Mind if I ask you what your reach is (wingspan) and why you decided to go with a shorter stem on your bike?

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I ran into a sizing conundrum as well when trying to pick my frame size. Thankfully after comparing similar specs\dimensions on a Scott Genius and Santa Cruz Hightower (both at local bike places) with similar reach setups I picked the 44 sized frame. I am right at 6 feet tall. I did get a new Renthol stem that is 5cm longer (50cm) and my 9point8 R line dropper post comes with a 25mm offset option that give me a little more reach.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Solid, thanks Chifanpoe!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chefnerd View Post
    Thanks Metal. I am right in line with your thoughts. I noticed the stem length was a little longer than "modern" setups which would lead me to the XL size for more options.

I wouldn't be able to lengthen out the cockpit on a L as the stem length is already quite long @ 80mm for the L.

Mind if I ask you what your reach is (wingspan) and why you decided to go with a shorter stem on your bike?
    I have pretty long arms. The last fitted shirt I bought was 18-35" but I usually have to get a taper fit or athletic cut so the body isn't too huge. So I'm kinda broad shouldered, thick neck, and long arms.

I went with a 70mm Race Face Evolve stem and 780x25mm Nukeproof Horizon Carbon bars because I wanted more responsive steering. Might be able to go 60 or 50mm stem but don't want to feel cramped. That's why I switched the flat bars to 25mm rise. I would think if you went with XL frame then you could easily do a 50mm or less stem.