which size cliff 29er- Mtbr.com

Aug 2008

which size cliff 29er

want to buy my son a cliff 29er.he likes sram shifters. he's big 6' 2" 240lbs inseam is 32.5". this looks to be a med frame on the geometry chart. He looks like he's on a kids bike when he gets on a med 26er. Are the 29ers sized differently?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rptbkr
    want to buy my son a cliff 29er.he likes sram shifters. he's big 6' 2" 240lbs inseam is 32.5". this looks to be a med frame on the geometry chart. He looks like he's on a kids bike when he gets on a med 26er. Are the 29ers sized differently?

Thanks
    Sounds to be pretty close to my size...i'm 6'3"-ish and 240 and that's the exact size I went with...very happy. I was afraid of the same thing as a med frame 26" would be WAY too small but after testing a few 29ers that friends had w/ similar geometry I went for it.

--Ian

Aug 2008
    Thanks Ian. I went for the MB fantom pro 29er in a 17".The Cliff's are all out of stock. Looks like it's shipping out already! The geometry seems right for his measurements. We'll see.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    You should have gone with a large. I am 5'10" and ride a 29er 17.5".

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by lostemple
    You should have gone with a large. I am 5'10" and ride a 29er 17.5".

The cliff 29er in med is listed as a 482mm/18.97" seat tube..I've got several hundred miles on mine and with a 32" inseam and 6'3" I'm VERY happy I ONLY got a med. Had I gone with a large the standover would've been too much for my 32" inseam...

--Ian

Aug 2008
    Got the bike yesterday and put it together. Size is good. The 19" frame would have been a nut cracker. Also the trails here are tight and technical. A smaller bike is easier to negotiate. We'll get out later today to check it out.

I find it strange that manufactures use seat tube length to size bikes since it seems to me to be the least significant measurement since the seat height is adjustable.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    you dont size a bike with standover unless you straddle your bike and walk it around instead of riding it!

I am 6'2" and have a 19" moto 29er and its a hair small for me. I usually ride a 19.5 or 20.

you could make that bike fit him if you get him a very long seatpost and a very long stem.
    Especially if you got the same short short seatpost that I got with my moto. (mind the min insertion point, its hard to see)

of course if this is just for pedaling around the neighborhood then it may not matter much

Aug 2008
    Yea seat post is a tad short. going to replace that. what a great bike! I rode it the other day and was so surprised how well it climbed. His bike must be 6 lbs heavier than my fly pro 26 but does not feel like it. The Ti model must fly up the hills!

Members who have read this thread: 0