Should I Have Two Wide Tires On My Bike?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Should I Have Two Wide Tires On My Bike?

hey guys, I have this question ..... Should I Have Two Wide Tires On My Bike?

What could go wrong ...
    as opposed to what ?
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    a friend of mine says if you have a narror rear tire and wide tire front on any mountain bike you will have these benefits: [Increased Traction and softer ride ... is this true?

I Void Waranties
    Quote Originally Posted by dfms2004
    a friend of mine says if you have a narror rear tire and wide tire front on any mountain bike you will have these benefits: [Increased Traction and softer ride ... is this true?
    would you rather have the rear slip out first and land on ur butt or have the front loose traction and have a visit to the dentist?
    The 1st production mountain bike was sold in 1984.
    Anti EBB

Pimpmobile
    Mar 2010
    Tire selection varies widely according to terrain....

I ride with Panaracer Rampage 2.35 on both ends, they work very well in loose leaf / pine straw, roots, and occasional sand.

Hardpack I would probably run a narrower tire in back, but I've always preferred a big, high volume, low pressure tire up front.
    "Fear not the ob-stackles in your path"

mtbr member
    For a hard tail, I'd run a big tire out back just to be able to run a lower pressure and smooth up the ride. Up front, as long as the handling is good and steady I'd leave what you have on. No reason to go with a super squishy front tire if you have a good suspension fork unless the slow speed handling is poor. I run 29x2.2 Mountain Kings on both front and rear, but that's just because it came stock with my bike. I've just about toasted the rear tire, so I'll be putting on a Panaracer Rampage on the rear, and maybe front too. I like to wear my tires out and get my money's worth out of them.
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    There are a lot of variables involved with tire selection. Riding style, terrain, the particular bike and personal preference all factor in. For my XC hardtail, I use a 2.2 semi slick in the back and a 2.0 knobby in the front. I use the higher volume to get more traction from the semi-slick, and of course the semi slick makes the bike much faster on hardpack. On my full suspension I use knobbies front and back and use a smaller tire out back.

But for me personally the tire with the most traction always goes on the front. First, I like to be able to slide out the rear in tight corners and switchbacks. Second, I don't want to lose steering traction.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    I run a Panny Rampage 2.35 in front and a Kenda SB8 in back. The Rampage has helped out noticeably on descents.

Sand still wrecked me the other day though. Tire slid right out. I hate sand.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I use a 2.5 Intense DH tire in front and a 2.35 Maxxis Holy Roller in the rear. I ride trails and Urban/Trials type. Works for me but I'm generally unconventional.

mtbr member
    I'm rolling Panaracer Rampage 29x2.35 tires on both front and rear. At least on a hardtail, I prefer a big tire on the rear as well as the front. The bigger tire on the front helps with handling and control, and the large rear tire gives you more air volume for a smoother ride. The bigger tire weighs more, but the extra squish is worth it to me.
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    Tubeless can improve ride comfort and traction as well.

I haven't found a need for a wider rear tire yet. I very rarely slip it. The front had been sketchy before I went wider. Admittedly, tread pattern and lower pressure factored in too when I converted.

Members who have read this thread: 0