shopping for a new bike, pls help- Mtbr.com

Feb 2009

shopping for a new bike, pls help

Hello,

I am looking to get a new bike as I just moved from FL to cloudcroft new mexico and there are some awesome places to ride out here. I need some advice on which bike to get.

I am 5'10 and about 245lbs (one reason I need a bike) and will be riding on the forest trails and dirt roads and some on pavement riding.
    I have been looking at the following bikes at BD

Motobecane 700DS $599 ( I think I would really like a FS bike, but I have never rode one. plus idk how this one is, I here the spring is really hard, but I am heavy, however I like the idea of a softer ride and better grip on the bumps)
    or is better to stay with a HT?

2009 Motobecane 700 HT $499 or Motobecane Fantom Trail $599

last I found this at my LBS
    2008 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc for $579
    or for $479 I can get the basic 2008 Rockhopper. Is it worth the extra $100 for the disc brakes?

So that is what am stuck between right now. Any help would be much appreciated as I haven't spent this kind of money on a bike before and would like to make the right choice.

Thanks,
    Colin

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    For the type of riding you are doing you are best getting a HT. FS bikes are not fun at all to ride on pavement especially a single pivot design like the 700DS. It will be heavier and bob a lot on pavement. You can always get a suspension seat post if you need some shock absorption in the rear. I have a Cane Creek Thudbuster ST and I love it. Its just enough to soften up the trail a lot, but you really don't even notice its there. You can get different elastomers for it to tune it to your weight (it comes with 3 elastomers, but I don't think they can handle your weight so you would need to buy one for your weight from Cane Creek).

For anyone considering Motobecanes I recommend a Fantom or a Fly. In my opinion the other bikes just aren't that good a deal, basically just cheap frames with nice parts thrown on them. The Fantom Trail is a nice bike for the money and would be nicer than anything you find in a bike store for that amount of money. The best thing is that you get a nice frame that is worthy of upgrading in the future if you get more serious about offroading.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

Bushwacker
    I'm a big too and have the 700 DS and love it. Most all of the sub $1k bikes have crappy forks and shocks. I upgraded to a shock with motion control/adjustable floodgate and pedal bob is a non-issue. The single pivot suspension is bomb proof for guys our size. You have to decide if you can live with a hard tail or must have full suspension. I would never want a hard tail no matter where I was riding, that's my personal preference. You can always upgrade the shock/fork later but if you have a hard tail obviously you'll always have a hard tail.
    When I'm not windsurfing, I'm mountain biking

Feb 2009

pulled the trigger

Thanks everybody for your responses and help. Well, being the impatient guy that I usually am, I went ahead and got a couple of bikes today. After trying out a couple bikes down town in Alamogordo yesterday I really liked the Specialized rockhopper, and my GF liked the hardrock. So we went home and did some research. From what I could see everybody really likes the rockhopper, and had mostly positive reviews of it. So today I decided to go back to the LBS (high altitude) in cloudcroft that I visited last month (only to look, which gave me the bug) after talking to him, he was much nicer, more knowledgeable, and worked with me better on price, specially after deciding to get two bikes. I ended up getting a 2008 rockhopper disc for $550 and a hardrock sport for $350. I think the prices were fair and we both are very happy with our picks so far. I do wish I could have tried out a couple of motobecanes as they look awesome on paper, and that is the one thing I dont like about the rockhopper is the cheaper parts list, however it does seam to perform well for me, and I like the awesome service from the LBS. We also got a small stores worth of accessories that we needed, helmets, tools, tubes, slime..ect.. which he installed what we needed (even stuff I had that I didnt buy from him He also gave us an extra 10% off, and of course we get a yrs worth of service/ checkups too. So I am very happy with my dealings with High Altidude (it is at 9000ft) and would highly recommend them. So after spending half the day at store we had enough time to go for a short 5mi ride down in alamogordo. I have to say this is one of the smoothest riding bikes I have ever tried. On pavement it handles great and very comfortable. I was also very impressed with it offroad hitting some 4 wheeler trails was fun, I cant wait to do some down hills down the mountain RR trails.
    Here are some quick pix of them after we got home.
    Thanks again,
    Colin

Bushwacker
    It's all about being happy with your ride...mission accomplished.
    When I'm not windsurfing, I'm mountain biking

Members who have read this thread: 0