Is the shock on the Fantom Trail DS a joke?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Is the shock on the Fantom Trail DS a joke?

I just picked up a Fantom Trail DS to build a budget FS bike for a buddy. Its a very nice frame, kind of heavy at 7.7 lbs, but very nice. But the rear KS Axis shock is useless. It doesn't even budge under the hardest of hits. My carbon hardtail feels like it has more travel than this thing. I suppose I could get an air shock , but then that kills the whole "budget" bike concept. Basically what I have is a 7.7lb hardtail frame.

Is it possible to get a lighter spring? I have never owned a coils shock, what do I need to know to get a new spring, length? How hard is it to take the spring out, do I just loosen the collar on the bottom of the spring?
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Honestly, what did you expect on a $800 FS bike with a Dart on the front?

Check this thread (different bike, but same shock I think):

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=418982

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by fireflock
    Honestly, what did you expect on a $800 FS bike with a Dart on the front?

[/url]
    I expected a lot more than this. My typical experience with Motobecane is that you get an amazing bike for a great price. However I can easily find a FS bike at the local bike shop with a Dart fork or better that at least has a functional rear suspension for $800. The wheels/components may be lower level, but having a useable suspension is more important than a higher level derailleur or wheelset. This frame is a big letdown.

Just check out this Mongoose at Performance bike. It has a Tora U-turn fork and a rockshox bar air shock for $699.
    http://www.performancebike.com/bikes...00_20000_51506
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The bike does look like a sweet deal for the price, if you happen to be one of the sizes left.

Don't forget about the 30 day satisfaction guarantee.
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/money.htm

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I 've been playing around with the shock and it is now working okay. The first thing I did was adjust the frame fron the 4" travel setting to the 5" travel setting, the leverage ratio at this setting is much better for the stiff spring. Then I reduced the preload on the spring, the shock manual did not list this as adjustable for this model but it seems to work. Now I actually can get the rear suspension to work okay. Its not very plush, but now it actually works pretty well given the price of the frame.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

Members who have read this thread: 0