Shock air valve issues on fantom- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Shock air valve issues on fantom

Had a friend rip off the air valve on his fantom elite ds due to the linkage (the air valve wasn't tucked away like it should have been) off and now his shock is toast.

What air shocks have valves that will not get in the way of the linkage? My rp23 looked like it could be close.

Are there any that fit right out of the box, too be extremely safe should he just go coil (like a cheap old vanilla)?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Also is the shock a 6.5X1.5? I had a hard time measuring it since I couldn't get it to extend all the way with no air in it

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

upside down yo

i'm pretty sure its 6.5 x 1.5. anyway i did the same thing. fox tells you to mount the shock and then release the air so you can move the suspension through its complete motion to make sure it doesn't hit anywhere. oops, i forgot that part. anyway, i mashed the airvalve because it def hits when the linkage is in the 5" mode. i was able to just take out the mashed air valve and get a new one from fox for around $10. it was super easy to switch out. the key was to then mount the shock up sided down. any of the fox shocks with the airvalves pointed out on an angle will fit a fantom if you mount them upside down. there was a link discussing this issue a while back that i started, i'll see if i can find it.

Members who have read this thread: 0