Shifting question 30 speed?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Shifting question 30 speed?

First I would like to thank all of you for helping me out and answering my questions. This is my first mountain bike. Road street bike many years ago. Decided to get into shape 4 months ago and am getting tired of jogging, Figure I can split it up with some riding.

So my question is what is proper shifting technique? If i am in the small gear on the front many many is ok to move over in the back? I dont think you can use all 10 correct? I think it would cross it up right? I would think 5 or 6 then move to the middle gear?

banned
    Sep 2010
    Yep , try not to "cross chain" . You have the right idea . Enjoy .

banned
    Oct 2010
    enjoy them .wow.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ramjam
    First I would like to thank all of you for helping me out and answering my questions. This is my first mountain bike. Road street bike many years ago. Decided to get into shape 4 months ago and am getting tired of jogging, Figure I can split it up with some riding.

So my question is what is proper shifting technique? If i am in the small gear on the front many many is ok to move over in the back? I dont think you can use all 10 correct? I think it would cross it up right? I would think 5 or 6 then move to the middle gear?
    I sure wouldn't use the smallest two or three cogs in back with your granny in front...no need. The better biker you are, the straighter chain line you run and "anticipate" the right gears front and back for climbing and descending.
    Good Luck.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    While int he middle gear can you use all 10 in the rear?

Members who have read this thread: 0