Seat Post Slipping- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Seat Post Slipping

I have a Fantom Pro SL 29 (AL Frame) and I can't get the seat post to stop slipping. I have tried a couple of seat posts and different clamps, including a non-QR clamp and it doesn't matter. There is ALOT of play when the seat post is inserted. Enough where you can hear it rattle if you move it back and forth. Yes I am using the correct post 27.2.

BD's answer is to send a double seat post clamp and call it good. My point is, the bike came with a QR clamp so it should work with a QR clamp. What a PITA it would be to have to adjust the saddle height on the trail with a double clamp on the bike. I love the bike otherwise in every regard.

Am I being unreasonable? Anyone else have this problem?

Maybe this is the push I need to move everything over to a steel frame.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I have heard several people complain about similar problems on Motos. You probably should get a better seatpost. And while you are at it, get some carbon assembly paste, its not just for carbon parts. It is a grease with microspheres in it, so when you tighten the seatpost the microspheres distort and give your post more grip. I use this stuff on every clamped part on my bikes and it is amazing.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

AZ
    banned
    Shim it with a piece of aluminum can if there is that much clearance.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I will keep that carbon assembly paste in mind. It sounds like good stuff.

I guess my point is this is my fourth mountain bike and I have never had this problem before. I don't see what a better post will accomplish and have never been in to boutique seat posts or stems and again never a problem. If I never planned to raise or lower the saddle, an aluminum shim would be fine but since I do, it would be as much of a pain to deal with as the two bolt seat clamp.

Considering how quick BD was willing to send out a Problem Solver two bolt clamp to try and fix this, this must be an ongoing problem for them and a flaw in the frame. I guess I should be OK with that since I got such great deal?

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by aroundoz View Post
    I guess I should be OK with that since I got such great deal?
    No, but your options are limited to living with the problem (which is a known problem) or exchanging the bike for another which will likely have the same issue or return it for a refund. Sorry about the difficulties.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I thought I did the research before buying the bike but apparently I did not. If I didn't live in such a hilly area, Nelson BC, I could live with it.

Oh well. There are worse things going on in the world than my seat post issues.

Good reason to shop around for a another frame and Voodoo looks like they have some nice options.

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    I have the same frame and issue. The carbon paste mentioned above helped.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by aroundoz View Post
    I I don't see what a better post will accomplish and have never been in to boutique seat posts or stems and again never a problem.
    The problem may be with the seatpost that the frame comes with and not the frame. So getting a new seatpost may solve the problem. But if your seatpost is a Ritchey, as most Motos are, they are pretty good so getting another won't make a difference.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I have had numerous different major brand mountain bikes with different seatposts and clamps that had slipping problems. Just get the carbon assembly paste and it will solve the problem. Manufactures of handle bars and front derailleurs are recomending this for use with their components now also.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Well I have to say that I am impressed with BD's response so far. The dialogue has been pleasant, they are wanting to resolve this and are providing options. They have been emailing daily and are offering to send a 27.4 Thomson seat post as well as the Problem Solver clamp. The reality is I would probably be lucky to get this kind of response from an LBS. I didn't realize slipping seat posts were that common. So hopefully the 27.4 isn't too big, if it is I will try the carbon assembly paste on the 27.2, and if all else fails, I will use the double clamp.

Thanks for the input and for enlightening me about the paste. I still believe the ID of the ST is a bit too large but I am considering this resolved and impressed with their service.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Yes, I am having a problem with my Team Fly Ti XX 29er, and so far BD seem very responsive in trying to help me work through the problem.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ljsmith View Post
    And while you are at it, get some carbon assembly paste.
    Sorry to resurrect this old thread but finally got some assembly paste, tried it, and it worked.

Thanks for enlightening me.

banned
    In my experience, I have found seat post issues always a function of the seatpost itself. Try the next size up, and if that is not possible, do what I have done on different bike frames in the past, close down the seat clamp as you normally would, and then torque down a little extra the hex bolt on the other side of the quick release; it's always worked for me....the down side is that you have to loosen the hex bolt before you can use the quick release, but that is a good thing too....thieves will have a hell of a time trying to flip the lever and steal your post and saddle. Hope that helps.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks for the idea about tightening the bolt after closing the seat clamp lever. I did use the assembly paste and it worked like champ.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I have a Pro29 and the seat began to slip on me the other day. Not down but went side to side. My post doesn't have any sort of labeling so should I try to find a carbon seat post? I am leery as to what size to get as when I looked up my size stem to replace the OEM one, I borrowed one from a friend and the sizing of handlebar was way off.

mtbr member
    You're running the original seat post, right? Just look up what the factory seat post dia is.

I've not used a carbon seat post but everything I've seen makes reference to them being more fragile and having to be more careful with them.

As far as the stem - handlebars come in 25.4 and 31.8 mm. There is a transisition happening where the 25.4 seem to be going away, though.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    If your seat tube is too large, going to a carbon post may cause more problems. You hve to be very careful with the amount of torque when you tighten a carbon post or you will damage it. So if you have slipping problems you may not be able to tighten a carbon post enough. First thing to try is the carbon assembly paste.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    May 2011
    than maybe I'll find a lightweight aluminum or titanium post...?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I would still try the carbon assembly paste first. If it doesnt work, it is still good stuff to have around. I would also just borrow a friend's first before buying a new one to see if that one slips. If it does, sounds like a warranty issue.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I have found 5oz of paste for about 8 bucks shipped. Think that's enough for this? Do I put it on the post or the inner tube? I rode again tonight and had to adjust my seat twice in 45 minutes. Keeps slipping down...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    That's enough to do 100 bikes...or so. You don't need much. Just remove the grease from the post and seat tube and apply a little paste to both areas. Hopefully it will work as well for you as it did for my bike. My post was so loose in the ST you could rattle it back and forth.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I opened the quick release and then tightened the bolt as tight as possible then cranked on it to tighten the lever. Seemed to help. Let's see how long it lasts...

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Toxis View Post
    I opened the quick release and then tightened the bolt as tight as possible then cranked on it to tighten the lever. Seemed to help. Let's see how long it lasts...
    The opposite of what I do (see my post above). After I have closed the lever, I tighten the hex bolt some more to the point that you have to loosen it if you want to open the lever. This adds some security to the casual thief who steals saddles and seat posts on rigs with quick release levers.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TraumaARNP View Post
    The opposite of what I do (see my post above). After I have closed the lever, I tighten the hex bolt some more to the point that you have to loosen it if you want to open the lever. This adds some security to the casual thief who steals saddles and seat posts on rigs with quick release levers.
    I know it can be situational but wouldn't it be easier to use a non-quick release?

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaLL6 View Post
    I know it can be situational but wouldn't it be easier to use a non-quick release?
    Yes, the Salsa Lip Lock comes to mind.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quick question. If I want to replace clamp with QR one, what diameter I need? I'm guessing 28.6, but just want to confirm.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Swapped to a Bontrager SSR post. Will report back on if it slips after my ride today.