SE Stout- Mtbr.com

Thread: SE Stout

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

SE Stout

Anyone picked up one of these?
    Looks like a nice deal

Im considering selling my outcast 29er and picking up one of these since Id rather have steel and disc brake compatibility.
    however Im worried about the weight at almost 30 pounds! And the only reviews on the web Ive found are for an (Im assuming older spec) bike made out of aluminum.

No-Brakes Cougar
    I don't think I'd be too concerned about weight. Weight only effects climbing and acceleration and you probably won't notice that much of a difference anyway.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

SE Stout, first trail ride report

Rode my new Stout on the trail for the first time today. BTW, this was my first SS, my first 29er, and my first rigid "dirt" bike since I was a kid. I chose a trail that had a few short, steep climbs, lots of roots, some rocks and a couple of tight turns. I didn't want to hit the harder trails until I knew how I would react on the bike. Well, I didn't miss the sus fork at all. Even the heavy roots were fairly easy once I let my arms take the harder bumps. The climbs were actually easier than I thought with the stock 34/18 grearing, but again, it was an easier course. It took all the tight turns very well and the sweeping turns and downhills were fast and controlled. The big wheels made a huge difference. The ride felt very controlled and smooth. SS riding is very freeing. I put on some lower end mech disc brakes and had absolutely no problems. There are two things I would change about the bike. 1st, they should supply a longer seatpost. 2nd, the front hub should be quick release, not nutted. I can't get the bike in my car without taking the front wheel off and it was a bit of a pain to get back on. Otherwise, no complaints. I've added some Shimano 520 pedals, but otherwise rode it stock as pictured here.

SE Stout-012w.jpg

SE Stout-011w.jpg
    - Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.
    P. J. O'Rourke

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary the No-Trash Cougar
    I don't think I'd be too concerned about weight. Weight only effects climbing and acceleration and you probably won't notice that much of a difference anyway.

BTW, in addition to my ride report, the bike feels much lighter than I expected.
    - Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.
    P. J. O'Rourke

No-Brakes Cougar
    Thanks for the ride report! Stock seatposts are never long enough.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

Members who have read this thread: 0