Sag setting for Fantom DS- Mtbr.com
    Stupid is, as stupid does

New question here. Sag setting for Fantom DS

My buddy just got a fantom DS. We swapped the stock RS stuff out for fox. Now we are trying to get the sag set correctly. I can't seem to find anything online or on here about proper sag settings. Wondering how much people are running on their bikes.
    Yeti SB95C
    Carver Ti 420
    Ibis HD3

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

setting sag

check out fox's website, there are owners manuals for all of their shocks and each is really good about describing how to set sag.

this is the site i used for my 09 rpl
    http://www.foxracingshox.com/fox_tec...9EnglishOM.pdf

although some require adding psi until you get the right amount of sag, others just specify a psi according to weight. something around 1 psi / lb of the rider, so if you're 180 lbs, then just set the shock to 180 psi, thats usually a good place to start.

Thank you. Still wondering what people have actually been running for sag. Some 30mm others 25%. Is there a general consensus of what individuals have found works well. Travel on bike is in the 5 inch setting
    Yeti SB95C
    Carver Ti 420
    Ibis HD3

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    did you have to flip the shock upside down? i had to as the air valve that comes off the float on an angle would hit the rocker arm in the 5" travel position when the shock was compressed. just curious.

bill

Got a fox RP23. I remeber reading your post. But this one cleared the valve perfectly in the upright position. One thing that was a ***** was finding a grade 8 bolt to fit through to mount the shock in the frame. I went everywhere. Finally came across a shop that had a rebuild kit for a 1998 specialized FSR that had a long enough bolt.
    Yeti SB95C
    Carver Ti 420
    Ibis HD3

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    so why couldn't you use the bolt that came off the original shock, it fit perfectly on the rpl?

i run mine at about 25%, i guess its just your own preference. i find that i can run it a bit softer, but the propedal kind of compensates when its on. so that when heading down its nice and cushy and when going up and xc, its efficient.

one thing i had to learn from a call to fox, was that in the 5" travel position, you really have to jack up the psi to around 230 or 240 to get the sag down to 25% to make up for the larger leverage ratio with that amount of travel. to achieve the same sag in 3" or 4", obviously psi's will drop.

On the RP23 it wouldn't fit through the reducers. But I was able to mount my shock in the standard direction. But since our shock were oriented differently that could be the difference.
    Yeti SB95C
    Carver Ti 420
    Ibis HD3

Members who have read this thread: 0