• 09-01-2009
    nnhubbard
    Risk of buying a Fantom Comp DS
    I have a friend who just bought a Motobecane 2009 Fantom Comp DS and he loves it. I am hesitant about Motobecane because it seemed too good to be true, such a nice bike for so cheap.

    So, my question is, are the bikes really as good as everyone says? Are they really comparable to Specialized, Trek etc. frames? Are the components good?

    I just want to make sure I am buying a quality bike and not regret it after I purchase just because it is a good deal.

    Thanks!
  • 09-01-2009
    Fuze911
    I recently bought a fantom 29 and love it. It has some parts on it that i had to swap but that shouldn't be an issue with the comp ds.(the fantom 29's handle bar/stem/seat post/clamp suck a whole lot and are cheap)

    Once the derailleurs, suspension and brakes are all dialed in, the bike feels great! Cant get enough.
  • 09-01-2009
    jayz28
    The main components (derailleurs, crank, shifters, fork, shock, brakes) are all from the same well established brands that the big guys use, so there's really nothing to worry about there. The only "questionable" major component on the Motobecanes are the Vuelta wheelsets, but they seem to work well for most people, me included.

    To me the biggest difference between the Motos and the big guys is the frame. The Fantom frame is a very nice frame for sure and the welds are top notch, but the design is a bit dated compared to the hydro-formed stuff everyone else is using. Additionally, the suspension setup on the Motos are all the same 4 bar configuration that results in a single pivot like ride while most of the big guys use some more novel rear suspension linkage setups. Whether any of that really constitutes a "better" bike is for you to judge. If I were a high level mountain biker with money to spare, I'd go for one of the more blingy bikes from the big guys. Otherwise, nothing really touches a Motobecane from a performance per dollar perspective, IMHO.
  • 09-01-2009
    Fuze911
    100% agree with the above poster. The design of the frame and suspension is a little dated one might say but at the same time its all proven technology. The other day i met a guy on my local trail with another motobacane and he loved his bike too.
  • 09-01-2009
    nnhubbard
    Thanks for all your great advice guys. I have hopes that maybe the 2010 model will have an updated frame?! On the yahoo group, so I hope I hear an update about the 2010 models soon.
  • 09-01-2009
    ljsmith
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by nnhubbard
    Thanks for all your great advice guys. I have hopes that maybe the 2010 model will have an updated frame?! On the yahoo group, so I hope I hear an update about the 2010 models soon.

    I really doubt you will see any updated frames. Most of these Motobecanes are using very simple frame designs that date back quite a few years. The only thing that occasionally changes are the paint colors. Theres nothing wrong with them, they are just very plain. But that is what keeps the cost down. It would be cool to see some hydroformed tubes, zero stack or integrated headsets, sweet paint jobs and decals, maybe some carbon seat stays, but all that kind of stuff would add to the cost and really not give you much benefit, other than looking cooler.
  • 09-17-2009
    sstrawsb
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ljsmith
    I really doubt you will see any updated frames. Most of these Motobecanes are using very simple frame designs that date back quite a few years. The only thing that occasionally changes are the paint colors. Theres nothing wrong with them, they are just very plain. But that is what keeps the cost down. It would be cool to see some hydroformed tubes, zero stack or integrated headsets, sweet paint jobs and decals, maybe some carbon seat stays, but all that kind of stuff would add to the cost and really not give you much benefit, other than looking cooler.

    My kind of style. I love cars and this concept is perfect for me. I love boring with tons of functionally. Its like carbon fiber wheels on your street car, or titanium exhaust, or a water tested exhaust manifold to use on the street. I feel the same on bikes. I love super high end bikes but why? I feel im going to abuse and trash it so much why spend so much money on one.

    Now that I rambled about all that, thats why I am looking at getting a Motobecane.

    Simple + Function > Fancy + Expensive.
  • 09-24-2009
    jellytronics
    motobecane = batman
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by nnhubbard
    I have a friend who just bought a Motobecane 2009 Fantom Comp DS and he loves it. I am hesitant about Motobecane because it seemed too good to be true, such a nice bike for so cheap.

    So, my question is, are the bikes really as good as everyone says? Are they really comparable to Specialized, Trek etc. frames? Are the components good?

    I just want to make sure I am buying a quality bike and not regret it after I purchase just because it is a good deal.

    Thanks!

    Can't go wrong with a Moto. They're like Batman...old-school and durable but with all kinds of fancy parts added, just like Batman's utility belt and all the crazy stuff he's got in it. So get one and become a member of an elite group of crime-fighters, where crime is....uhh, the trails you ride? no wait that would be like the streets Batman protects...hmm...so maybe your moto would be like the batmobile, yeaaa imagine that, you riding in a batmobile...prettty coool yea?
  • 05-20-2011
    hangdogdaddy38
    Fantom Trail DS
    Just purchased the 2010. And thanks to this thread it helped me decide. The center linkage for the rear shock looks sooooo much Mongoose Pro sommet. I hope I get as nice a ride out of it as I did my old sommet. I'll post more when it gets here.