Requesting Feedback from Fantom Comp DS XT Owners- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2015

Requesting Feedback from Fantom Comp DS XT Owners

Greetings! I am a former avid mountain biker (10-20 years ago) who occasionally gets on the trails nowadays. I have been riding a rigid fork, hard-tail Ritchey Ultra for 20 years. Although I love my “vintage” mountain bike, my back no longer likes it aggressive, stretched-out geometry. I am currently looking for a decent full-suspension mountain bike for occasional single-track use (100-150 miles per summer) priced up to $1500.

One bike that caught my eye is the Motobecane U.S.A. Fantom Comp DS XT (http://www.motobecane.com/ds/fcds.html ). It appears to have quality components and with Motobecane U.S.A. bikes being built by Kinesis in Taiwan, I expect the build quality to be good. I am looking for feedback from owners of this model. Specifically I am looking for answer to the following questions:

How do you like it?
    How “upright” is the geometry?
    Has it been durable and reliable?
    If you have a “Medium” size (18.5” or 47cm), what does it weigh?

Thanks in advance!
    2011 BMC SpeedFox SF01
    2014 Fuji Sportif 1.1 (road bike)

mtbr member
    If you're not aware of it yet, the current Motobecane brand is not the same as the old French motobecane brand bikes, it is actually just a house brand of a direct from manufacturer bike importer called bikesdirect. there is a lot of brand bashing and looking down on the bikesdirect branded bikes, but at the end of the day, they are good bikes. Just not as good a deal as their MSRP and "compare to" bikes make them look. they are usually a little heavier than the "compare to" bikes with similar components, but they are much cheaper for that extra pound of frame weight.

In regards to the one you linked to above, I doubt it is available any more. The motobecane website is usually out of date. One of their current versions is linked below, but it's has much higher components/quality than the one you linked to. And a more "upright" geometry can be achieved on most bikes by shortening the stem and using wider handlebars, even your old Ritchey. Save Up to 60% Off 27.5 Six Inch Travel All Mountain Shimano DynaSys, Full Suspension Mountain Bikes - MTB - Motobecane Fantom | Shimano DynaSys full suspension mountain bikes | Save up to 60% off list prices on new bicycles

In regards to reliability, the parts are all good, so it boils down to assembly and maintenance. Unless you plan on taking it into a bikeshop for these, the reliability is dependent on how well you set it up and maintain it. If you do take it into a bike shop, not worth the cost savings of buying a bike online because you spend the money saved on all those extra little costs for setup and tuning already included in the price if you buy locally.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    watts888: Thanks for your response! I was aware that Motobecane U.S.A. is not related to the original French bicycle manufacturer Motobecane, but I was not aware that Motobecane U.S.A. bikes were sold only by bikesdirect. I read that Motobecane U.S.A. bikes are made by Kinesis in Taiwan. From looking on the Kinesis website, it appears the Motobecane Fantom series of mountain bikes are re-branded Kinesis 650B frames.

For a DIY cyclist who is not brand-loyal nor a competitive rider (like myself), their bikes seem to be a good value. I am interested to learn more about their quality and durability.
    Last edited by Kaline; 11-12-2015 at 08:12 AM.
    2011 BMC SpeedFox SF01
    2014 Fuji Sportif 1.1 (road bike)

My little friends
    I bought this bike at the end of July Fantom 29er4BY4 COMP. So far I have put 260 miles on it with an average of 5 steep, rocky miles per ride. No issues with the bike at all even after numerous endo's, (sitting here typing with a separated shoulder). I was pleased with initial factory drivetrain adjustments; the limit stops were right on and it shifted perfectly out of the box. All the pivots were properly greased as well. Wheels were true and the brakes were properly bled. I swapped over my cockpit from my 26'er, (Crank Brothers carbon bars, KS-Eten dropper post and Ritchey pedals), and changed out the back tire to a more aggressive tread. Overall I am very happy with this bike!

mtbr member
    I've got multiple bikes from bikesdirect, and I'll buy from them again. The quality is good for what you pay. The frame is not as light weight as a bike that costs twice as much from the LBS, but for the average rider, it's good. And strong. Only problem I've had with bikedirect bikes is the cheap hubs and some of the cockpit parts. If you buy one of their lower end entry level ones, they have cheaper pedals, seatpost, handlebar and stem. they're all perfectly functional and strong, just heavy when compared to a Ritchey or Thompson. the hubs are my only complaints because they're usually a heavy formula hub, you'll have a hard time identifying the hub for a replacement freewheel, and the spokes are cheap. I've beat the snot out of a Gravity bike for a couple years before spokes started breaking, so they're not that bad. Just not as good as double butted high quality steel spokes that bump the price up a couple hundred.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

mtbr member
    I have one I got for my wife. Compared to my high end bike. I'd say on par minus a few things. I got a DS and the suntour fork is heavy. The rear spring is stiff. Pedals are trash. Frame and wheels solid. Crank heavy but solid. Breaks are ok but with work grip like a champ.

With a few hundred dollars more into what I bought she will have a bike on par with my cannondale and will cost me 1/3 the price.

If I ever find myself lost, I just change where I'm going.