removing painted on letters.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010

removing painted on letters.

I have a ds pro. Love the bike, posted in another post that the weight is very suprisingly low w/ the few mods I've made...about 3lbs less than the claimed weight...love the bike. I want to remeve the lettering...it's too blocky imo. Does anyone know of a way to strip the letters off w/out removing the rest of the paint?

If not I have a local auto customizing shop that makes special order decals. Thinking of coming up w/ a custom name to cover the motobecane logo on my downtube. Not b/c I'm embarssed of the name, just don't like the look of the lettering. It's too big. I wish they would just shorten it to "moto" or something of the sort.

Am sure I'm up a creek w/out a paddle...just had to ask.

Pimpmobile
    Mar 2010
    Just get it really dirty!
    "Fear not the ob-stackles in your path"

S*it Happens!
    Quote Originally Posted by HamfisT
    Just get it really dirty!

Sometime itís the simplest solution that often gets overlooked.
    -_0
    _ `\<,_
    (+)/ (+)
    Like lifeÖthe trail is unpredictable...

DynoDon
    I don't want to tell you but I will, I like the name on my frame, when we took painted lettering off a big truck (SEMI) like when chainging company's, we used Oven Cleaner, I don't know what will happen if you have a clear coat on over the letters, just put some on let it set awhile, then wipe it off, test it for short times, and see how much it takes off, just keep reapplying it, wear rubber gloves, mask, and wash it off your skin if it gets on you, this stuff is toxic, don't blame me if it messes up your paint, thats what pinstrippers use to remove old paint, and it has worked for me.
    Good Luck

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    As far as I know, Moto does not used painted on letters. They use decals under a clear coat. Just because your bike has a matte finish does not mean it doesn't have a clear coat. Its just a matte clear. The safest way to remove painted letters, or decals under cleat coat is to carefully sand them off. Then you will have to either re-clear the area or carefully color sand it to get it looking correct again. You can also use something like a citrus stripper, put it only on the letters until it softens them up and them use a scothbrite pad to remove the letters. This is dificult to do, but if you do it right you can remove the letters with little damage to the paint. Don't leave the stripper on too long or it will attack the paint, just long enough to soften up the lettering.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

S*it Happens!
    Quote Originally Posted by Montanamtb

If not I have a local auto customizing shop that makes special order decals. Thinking of coming up w/ a custom name to cover the motobecane logo on my downtube. Not b/c I'm embarssed of the name, just don't like the look of the lettering. It's too big. I wish they would just shorten it to "moto" or something of the sort.
    I doubt Motobecane would use any other fontÖit as important as the name itself. That font has been around since itís inception back in 1923. Thatís like telling the Indian Motorcycle co. they shouldnít use scripted lettering in their name.

Itís a trademark in itís own right.
    -_0
    _ `\<,_
    (+)/ (+)
    Like lifeÖthe trail is unpredictable...

Members who have read this thread: 0