Recommendations?- Mtbr.com

Jun 2009

Recommendations?

Hello,

I am looking for a bike for my wife. I have a Forge Sawback 5xx and love it but Forge does not make a bike in 15" for my wife. Was looking at Motobecane due to the what you can get for the price.

She mainly goes with me on roads/light trails on her Wally World mountain bike, but the bike is falling apart. Which bike should I get her from bikesdirect? Should I go with a mountain, hybrid, comfort for her? Budget is $250 - $400. She may get into MTB in the future, but just light trails for now.

Thanks,
    Aaron

newfydog
    May 2009
    Go with the mountain bike. You can put a mtb on the road, and if it only goes on the road, put on road tires and have a good hybrid. You can change the stem and put on a monster saddle, and make it a comfort bike, whatever that is.

You can't ever make those other bikes into a mt bike. Something like the cliff 470, with a set of road tires from performance (on sale for about $5) would be as good as any of those bikes.

Jun 2009
    Thanks,

Sounds like good advice. How do you think the Cliff 4700 compares to the Motobecane 600HT?

Aaron

newfydog
    May 2009
    They don't look much different at a glance, but I don't know much about those mid-lower end bikes. Nothing wrong with them, I just have no experience with them.

The 700 ht looks like a bike I might ride.

Members who have read this thread: 0