Recent increase in Moto prices...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Recent increase in Moto prices...

All,
    I found motobecanes and BD only very recently - perhaps 2 weeks ago and i have already purchased a fantom29comp for my GF and we just finished putting it together this evening. Needless to say, she is rather delighted. We are both very pleased with the quality and componentry. I was just readying to pull the trigger on the Fantom29Elite when the prices switched up.

As you might have seen from my recent posts, i am rather puzzled and worried about the increase in price from BD. Bikes with the marginally higher spec from last year going up by $200 etc.

A few questions:
    1. Was there any indication in the past few months that prices are going to go up?
    2. Do you think the prices of the 26ers are also going to go up when they start shipping them in november?
    3. Does BD generally lower prices after the model-line stabilizes in a few months or do they just phase them out?
    4. Any particular reason for such a sharp increase in prices? - new vendors, facilities? A gradual increase is inevitable, but $200 spike is no joke for a mid-range bike.

Sorry about the rant. I know that price increase or not, i'll probably still end up with a moto. :-( Buyer's remorse before even buying Am just sad that i was late to the party by just a few days :-(
    End rant :-)

mtbr member
    As all the parts on the bike are imported and the US dollar has and continues to fall against most currency it will only get worse.

Tim

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Wombat
    As all the parts on the bike are imported and the US dollar has and continues to fall against most currency it will only get worse.

Tim

This , you haven't seen anything yet .

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    what you do claiming? bikesdirect.com is best choice. if do you buy the entire bike is more cheaper do you build the only kit.... i have to right to claiming... in brazil we pay more 70% of federeal taxs for imports, in everything... a bike of US$1000 (with shipping) costs for me almost US$2300 (we pay tax over product price+ship, not only the product.. bastard!) , and continues was the best choice... you luck for home on a just country

mtbr member
    The price increases have been on bikes upgraded with the 10 speed Shimano or Sram drivetrain. Both Shimano and Sram have increased their prices significantly for the new drivetrains. I think bikesdirect is just passing through the price increase.

banned
    Apr 2010
    Raising prices is a bike shop thing. Bikes Direct should be free of that as technology trickles down and is cheaper to get it to the consumer.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by junktrunk
    Raising prices is a bike shop thing. Bikes Direct should be free of that as technology trickles down and is cheaper to get it to the consumer.
    so bikes should be costing 25.25$ then? :^)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Recent increase in Moto prices...-5-bicycles.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    The Hussar bike that cost $25 in 1916 will cost the equivalent of $500 today. And it's only a sngle speed, no brakes. For $500 today, we can get a 24 speed full suspension aluminium frame disc brake bike (from BD of course). We have come a long way.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Recent increase in Moto prices...-5-bicycles.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by caesar148
    The Hussar bike that cost $25 in 1916 will cost the equivalent of $500 today. And it's only a sngle speed, no brakes. For $500 today, we can get a 24 speed full suspension aluminium frame disc brake bike (from BD of course). We have come a long way.
    Actually a coaster brake was an option for around 3$. The point of course was that BD has zero control over supplier prices which are of course behind the price increases (at least in part due to inflation). Did you happen to notice the shipping weight? :-D.

merlin

mtbr member
    Notably at the beginning of the recession, prices on about everything went up. It could have been issues with exchange rates but I suspect that as people bought less(volume going down), many companies raised prices to make up the difference in revenue. Gotta keep the stockholders happy you know.

Fortunately, more people are starting to realize that continued economic and population growth isn't sustainable, but that's a topic for another day and thread.

Members who have read this thread: 0