Rear wheel chain guard keeps popping off!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Rear wheel chain guard keeps popping off!

Just got my Fantom Trail HT- awesome! Anyway, couple things wrong with it out of the box- rear derailleur was totally screwed up- brought it to the shop and they tuned for $20. Front disc brake was missing mounting hardware...talked to bikesdirect and they are sending me the hardware, meanwhile I've got it jury rigged with some screws from Ace.

Anyway, I was riding the bike hard in the yard and the plastic guard on the rear wheel between the sprocket and spokes came loose. It seems awfully loose when I put it back on, I can't really think of any way to keep this sucker on there!

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by spm2600
    ...I can't really think of any way to keep this sucker on there!
    Then don't
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    If they tuned the derailleur properly (low end limit screw in particular) then you don't need it.

FYI, the other name for the spoke protector is the "dork disk." If you don't have the tools to remove the cassette to get at it, you can cut it off with tin snips or something.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Is it worth pulling off? I mean, hypothetically my bike goes out of tune will it mess up the wheel not having it there? Is that something a lot of people pull off?

mtbr member
    Most people remove it. Odds are very strong that it'll be fine.

I've had a chain jump outside on the top gear (smallest gear on the cassette) but never on the inside.

If you're curious as to how these things are adjusted and prevent the chain from jumping off the cassette, check this website:

http://www.parktool.com/repair/

S*it Happens!
    I don't know of any after market wheelset that come with a "dork disk." They only seem to come with the stock wheelsets.
    -_0
    _ `\<,_
    (+)/ (+)
    Like life…the trail is unpredictable...

Members who have read this thread: 0