Rear Shock 700DS- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Rear Shock 700DS

What are the specs and size for the 700DS, I am trying to understand the nomenclature. Such as 8.5x2.5 what are those sizes? although I do not think thats the 700DS's

Bushwacker
    The stock shock demensions are 6.5" x 1.5". The mounting hardware for Rock Shox shocks are 22.2 x 8 mm. I don't how that differs for other brand shocks.
    When I'm not windsurfing, I'm mountain biking

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

heya

Thanks Stark, still trying to clear it up a bit, is the 6.5" the total shock length? and the 1.5" the diameter? The mounting harware, 22.2mm x 8mm referes to what exact part? Forgive me my friend I am just trying to get a better knowledge of that entire fixture itself.

Bushwacker
    Sure bud. 6.5" refers the eye to eye measurement (distance from center of each mounting hole when the shock is fully extended). 1.5" is the stroke distance (distance the shock shaft moves from fully extended to fully compressed). The mounting hardware consists of the sleeves/shafts and screws that are inserted through the mounting holes at each end of the shock and attach the shock to the frame of the bike. 8mm is the screw or bolt diameter and 22.2mm is the total length of the mounting pieces measured from the inside edges of the mounting bracket on the frame.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

ahh

Ahhhh! I see said the blind man, thank you a TON for clearing that up for me, so to further educate myself, the question would be, what is the total eye to eye size shock would fit the 700DS, I assume you would want somthing extremely close? Or would getting a larger shock be ok if it had more compression room?

I am not fully sure if there is a standard for suspension setups, for example the angle mounted type like the 700DS or the vertical mounted type like say teh Ellsworth bikes.

Bushwacker
    The stock size is 6.5". I upsized to 7.5". I did a full write up on it for another guy and I just sent a copy to your pm.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I have a fantom trail ds, which I believe shares the same rear shock as the 700ds. Is there any way I could get that write up as well? Do you think the 7.5" would work for my geometry as well? Any input is appreciated.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by comicbookguy18
    I have a fantom trail ds, which I believe shares the same rear shock as the 700ds. Is there any way I could get that write up as well? Do you think the 7.5" would work for my geometry as well? Any input is appreciated.

I Just sent it to you in PM, I have since moved to a Trek Fuel EX 8. The Moto was an excellent beginner bike to get me hooked. In fact I am not sure ill ever ride other tires thatn the WTB Velociraptors that came with it, I have 4 sets in reserve.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by enOehT
    I Just sent it to you in PM, I have since moved to a Trek Fuel EX 8. The Moto was an excellent beginner bike to get me hooked. In fact I am not sure ill ever ride other tires thatn the WTB Velociraptors that came with it, I have 4 sets in reserve.
    Hi,
    May I also get the PM with rear shock details for the 700ds?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Here ya go :)

You check out pics of my upgrades via my profile.

"Ok, you're going for maximum performance, I like your style. Here's what you need to know.
    The longer shock will move the seat higher and forward, slightly. It will change your seat angle downward, slightly. So, you'll need one of these

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/148...0-Seatpost.htm

This seat post will allow you to adjust the seat fore and aft as well as the seat angle. This will allow you to tweak your sitting position to find the correct balance point. It's only $19, I found one on Sierra Trading post for $13, don't know if they still stock it.

Next you MAY need one of these, (Delta Riser Stem 1-1/8 Black for Threadless)
    :

http://store.icyclesusa.com/shared/S...C&Count1=11303 126&Count2=928443551&ProductID=11247&Target=produc ts.asp&utm_medium=cse&utm_source=googlebase

Like I said, you may or may not need this. Once your rear shock is installed and you've adjusted the correct saddle position, take a ride and see how you like the handle bar height on the stem. If it feels too low, take off the bar put all the spacers underneath the bar. If it's still too low, you need one of these. It mounts where the handle bar did. You clamp it down then mount the bar to it. Obviously, you want the black color. If you feel like you're too far forward on steep decents, this will allow you bring your position up and essentially throws more weight rearward. This too is only $19, Maybe a little cheaper if you look around. You must be a short person if your frame is so small. I'm 6' 6" so no telling if you'll need this but if you do, you're ready to go. If/when you upgrade the fork you can decide how much you want the steerer tube cut and you may not need this then. Your tube is cut down now at the factory. New forks come with a 10" uncut tube.

The only other thing you have to addrress is the mounting hardware for the shock. You have to measure the diameter of the mounting bolt and the distance between the mounting brackets. I'm pretty sure this is the right size:

http://www.bikeparts.com/search_resu...p?ID=BPC114054

But I reccomend you bring the bike into the local bike shop, let them measure and order it for you. That's what I did. I got a good price and they would take it back if it was wrong. They'll cry and moan that you're doing this upgrade project, just ignore them. Make sure you get some decent bike grease and lube up the mounting hardware before installation.

Oh yeah, if your shock doesn't come with shock pump you'll need one. Look on ebay for a rockshox pump for $10 to $20.

That's it. You've just increased your rear travel by 2 1/4" and if you got a decent shock your ride will have improved in quality (plushness) by 200%. If and when you're ready and want to upgrade the fork let me know. Upgrading the shock tho is the first priority. Let me know how it goes or if you have more questions."

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Courtesy of Starkonian.

Bushwacker
    In addition to the above I've upgraded the grips, the Velociraptors to IRC Trail Bear 2.23 tires, swapped in a 11x34 cassette and added some platform pedals. I liked the Velociraptors for bang for the buck too but they were a little too narrow for the big climbs I do in the Santa Cruz mountains. The IRC's are tractor tires and wear like iron. I've got a year on the suspension upsize with no issues. The travel adjust Tora really rounded everything off.

Rear Shock 700DS-resized_img_0191.jpg

Rear Shock 700DS-resized_img_0193.jpg

Rear Shock 700DS-resized_img_0194.jpg

Rear Shock 700DS-resized_img_0195.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Thanks for the info. That's very helpful.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    hey stark,love the headet extension,can you give me some info on it?

Bushwacker
    It's a Delta Stem Riser, tall guys friend. I've been using it for over a year and it's been solid.

https://www.rei.com/product/700227?p...:referralID=NA

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    thanx, i'm 6-4 gonna have to get one

Members who have read this thread: 0