Quick Question on what size to get on bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Quick Question on what size to get on bike

Hi,

I am about to order a bike from bikesdirect but I want to clarify what frame size I should get. I am 6'0 and I have about 33/34'' arm length, and a 32 inseam. Some people say 19 some say 21. I was planning on getting the 600HT mountain bike, or if the 700HT.

Thanks
    Will-
    Last edited by vvflyricevv; 06-12-2010 at 11:40 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    We my friend, I just got through struggling with this same issue for a 29er. So I've been through the learning curve.

I think it's pretty clear that a 21 inch 600/700 HT isn't your best choice. The stand over for that frame on the 21 inch bike is 31.7, your inseam is 32. The 19inch 600/700 HT stand over is 30.5 . The 19 inch frame gives you 1 1/2 inches clearance, pretty much the minimum.

Did you use follow the BD instructions for measuring your "cycling" inseam? If so, going with the 21 inch 600/700HT will put big Al and the boys in serious jeopardy.

Step 1, Cycling Inseam:
    Measure your cycling inseam. Stand in your riding shoes and straddle the spine of a medium sized book. Press the book upwards firmly as if you are sitting on the book spine. Then measure from the top of the book spine to the floor.
    This is your "Cycling Inseam"

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I want to thank you for clarifying it. B/c the guys in Trek said 19 will fit me, but then another bicycle shop who specialized in Specialized said I should go with the 21. Thanks for clarifying it with me. I rode the 19 and 21, and I did notice that the 21 was a lil uncomfortable, but I wanted a second opinion on it. Didn't want to get it too small. THANKS!

What could go wrong ...
    IMO top tube length is more important the standover is ... I am 6' with a 30" inseam and my gf is 5'6" with a 30" inseam ... so by your advice we should be on the same size frame ... I ride an 18" frame and she is on a 16" frame ... she cant even reach the handlebars on my bike ... just something to think about
    Last edited by Zoke2; 06-14-2010 at 04:56 AM.
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Yes, I would agree that the effective top tube length is very important, that is why I struggled with choosing the right size bike for myself. My inseam (34.5) is not the driving factor . However, if your nad are the same height as the top tube, that's not a good set up for mountain biking.

BTW, I think we all know we can't assume a Trek 19 inch is the same as a Motobecane 19. The frame geometries are all over the place from manufacture to manufacture.

For example the stand over for a Fischer 29er 21inch, is the same as a Motobecane 29er 19 inch, but the top tube lengths are very different. This makes a mail order bike a bit of a challenge.

Members who have read this thread: 0