Quick question comparing a couple Motobecanes- Mtbr.com
    aan
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011

New question here. Quick question comparing a couple Motobecanes

So right now I'm looking at two/three Motobecane's - I was hoping you guys could illuminate which bike would be the best bang for the buck as I'm not very familiar with components anymore...haven't gotten a new bike in years.

Here is what I'm looking at:

2010 Model of the Fantom Trail DS ($699)
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...trail_ds08.htm

700 HT ($549)
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...e_700HT_xi.htm

700 DS ($599)
    http://bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/700ds_x.htm

I'm really in-between on the DS vs Hard-tail right now - I could go either way as I'd like to do more technical trails that I would love the DS for, that said I COULD live without it so if the 700 HT is a better bang/buck then no loss there.

If anyone can shed some light on the biggest pros/cons to these setups OR if you have experience with any of the bikes, please let me know! Thanks!

aan
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    sorry to post on top of my original post, but I meant to include this bike as well, the HT version of the Fantom for $599

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...om_trail08.htm

mtbr member
    I would ditch those and go with a 29"er.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...y/29point2.htm

My wife rides this one (with a few upgrades)
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...9_trail_xi.htm
    KHS
    Motobecane
    Fisher
    Kona

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Of the bikes you listed the Fantom Trail is the best. The Fantom Trail DS is okay, but it weighs like 35 pounds, its a real tank. The 700DS has rear suspension that is useless, they put an 800 lb. spring on the back so that it won't bob, it is basically just a heavy hardtail unless you upgrade it with an air shock.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

aan
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ljsmith View Post
    Of the bikes you listed the Fantom Trail is the best. The Fantom Trail DS is okay, but it weighs like 35 pounds, its a real tank. The 700DS has rear suspension that is useless, they put an 800 lb. spring on the back so that it won't bob, it is basically just a heavy hardtail unless you upgrade it with an air shock.
    Yeah I'm thinking that a DS would be overkill, and besides at this price point I'd be better with the hardtail...right now I'm debating between:

the 700HT or the Fantom Trail...the difference is only 50 bucks, so I could go either way. Anyways, hopefully I can make up my mind soon and pull the trigger!!

aan
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    but now I'm looking at the gravity 29point2 as well...I never want to buy a new bike again too many choices!!!

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by aan View Post
    but now I'm looking at the gravity 29point2 as well...I never want to buy a new bike again too many choices!!!

Narrow it down to a HT or F/S, then set a dollar limit and then start comparing the geo charts.

aan
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    For sure I'm looking at HT exclusively now - as far as geo goes, the BD website has limited quantities of bikes I am looking at.

Im 5'11", about 175 lbs depending on the time of the year...

The Gravity 29.2 17.5" frame would likely fit me ideally - this being said, I have never ridden a 29er so I need to find one to try out soon, I'll have to call a few friends or something.

The Fantom Trail HT has a 20" frame available, but I'm concerned that would be too tall - my current Trek has a 19.5" frame and I can't help but feel an extra half-inch would crush my...boys

the 700 HT has a 19" frame in stock that would fit as well.

decisions, decisions!

anybody have experience with any of these and would like to comment, please do! Thanks!

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by aan View Post
    For sure I'm looking at HT exclusively now - as far as geo goes, the BD website has limited quantities of bikes I am looking at.

Im 5'11", about 175 lbs depending on the time of the year...

The Gravity 29.2 17.5" frame would likely fit me ideally - this being said, I have never ridden a 29er so I need to find one to try out soon, I'll have to call a few friends or something.

The Fantom Trail HT has a 20" frame available, but I'm concerned that would be too tall - my current Trek has a 19.5" frame and I can't help but feel an extra half-inch would crush my...boys

the 700 HT has a 19" frame in stock that would fit as well.

decisions, decisions!

anybody have experience with any of these and would like to comment, please do! Thanks!

Size it by the effective top tube, not by the stand over. If your Trek fits well use the eff. top tube as a reference.

aan
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    thanks for the tip, I measured my bike and the sizes are pretty similar.

mtbr member
    I don't have any saddle time on a 29er so I won't comment on that option. I do have about a year's worth of time on a 700 HT. Between the Fantom Trail HT and the 700 HT I would choose the Fantom. Though they seem similar and not much price difference the frame and the Ritchy parts on the Fantom make it a nicer deal imo.
    Mike
    2011 Moto Fly Pro