Question about lower end parts?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Question about lower end parts?

I have been reading on here complaints about lower end handlebars, headsets, stems and seat posts and clamps. My question is what are higher end parts going to get you? the lower end parts seem to work ok. Its not like they are shifters or cranks that will wear out. I am new to this so please explain.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    often they just weigh less without sacrificing strength.

mtbr member
    I can say that the seatpost on my Cliff 29r Pro was complete crap. The teeth stripped out on the first ride, but BikesDirect handled it properly and sent me a replacement. Funny thing is, they sent me an upgraded seatpost...still heavy but much better quality. I think even they realize those parts are garbage and have a high failure/replacement rate. But, that's the trade-off on their lower end bikes. On the more expensive bikes, you'll see them include Ritchey Comp and WCS parts which are of higher quality than the cheapo no-name stuff on the lower end of the product lineup.

After owning both a $900 bike with almost all quality parts and a lower end bike with some low end parts I'd definitely spend the extra money on a bike > $1,000. You definitely get what you pay for, and the parts overall are just better. That being said, the stem and handlebars are holding up just fine...just heavy.

Here's the replacement seatpost they sent, which runs about $25 at my LBS. Better clamp, finer teeth, solid construction, nice piece of hardware if you're not concerned about weight (350g).
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    many people change those parts when they get a new bike anyway. Most people have a saddle, stem, and grips that they like. Bar and seatpost are less specific, but many replace those since they're easy to move from bike to bike.

Members who have read this thread: 0