Q's about Fantom PRO DS- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Q's about Fantom PRO DS

Hello everyone,

I'm looking at getting back into mtbing after a 9 year break and I'm giving Motobecane from bikesdirect a hard look. Sure looks like a good bike but I have a few questions. I'm thinking of getting the Motobecane 2008 Fantom PRO DS Mountain Bike http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...ompro_ds08.htm. I'm trying to sort thru all the components to judge how good they are and it is vague about which rear shock it comes with. Also how does this "remote" lockout thing work with the front/rear shocks?? The only full suspension bike I've rode is a Specilized Stumpjumper and it had 3 settings on the rear shock, open/propedal/locked. Is there something similar on these rockshock rear shocks??

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I would e-mail and ask them which model of rear shock it has. In some cases the exact part may not be listed because they may have more than one type of shock and may put whichever one on the bike that happens to be in stock at the time you order. But again, I would e-mail to make sure.

As far as lockouts, every manufacturer has different styles of lockout that work in different ways. But you say you have used the Specialized lockout, so it is basically the same as that. From the description the front and rear do both have lockouts. I have two forks with lockouts. One is a Manitou Skareb, it has a remote lockout that is either full open or fully locked out. When locked out the fork compresses to its sagged position and does not compress any further. The other is a Manitou R7 that has a dial that gives differing levels of "platform" (compression) which each click of the dial with the last click being a lockout. Some manufacturers using mechanical lockouts, and I believe some others use hydraulic lockouts. Some have a way to deal with large hits while locked out while others don't, on ones that don't hitting a large object while locked out can cause damage to the fork. So you really need to determine what type of shock it is and then you can figure out exactly how it works.

I hope this helps.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thanks. I'll shoot them an email and ask.

I guess my question is more basic. I understand what the lockout is doing as far as the shock itself. What does "remote" refer to, is there a lever of knob you actually push on the handlebars?? I think I see a cable running to the rear shock on the picture but I can't tell what its hooked to on the handlebars.

Mar 2008
    The rear shock is a Rock Shox MC3.R.

The remote works like unlocked/mostlylocked. There is basically a bit of give when locked for the larger bumps, but it's still very solid in the rear. It works the same for the front shock. I believe you can replace the PopLoc switch with an adjustable switch (this is in the manual) so you can actually dial in how far locked you want it to be - although if you'd want this, you should verify that it would work before ordering one.

Remote means that it's on your handlebars, so you don't have to reach down for the shock to make the adjustment. And yes, there's one each for the front and rear shock on the handlebars.

I just got mine a week ago or so. Got a small. I am 5'9, ~165-170, 30" inseam. Fits great. Very fun bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Sweet thanks!!! Have you had a chance to ride it much?? I'm pretty much sold on this bike. Just don't see anything even close to it's price that has the componentry this has. It sound like bikesdirect seems to be ok so I'm not seeing the downside. I like wrenching on my own bike anyway.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    If you can be your own mechanic then there really isn't any downside to bikes direct. I think one of the main complaints is they don't have a direct phone number for customer service. But from what I understand they respond quickly to e-mails. But the prices of these bikes are so low compared to comparable bikes that I have a hard time seeing how anyone could complain. I actually saw someone on ebay who was selling his Motobecane frame because he bought the bike just for the parts, that tells you what a good deal these bikes are.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

Mar 2008
    helibird,

I've ridden it a few times. I recently injured my knee with the bike (my fault - don't know my limits yet) and also got severe flu, so I haven't ridden it as much as I would have liked to.

It's very fun. This is my first good FS bike, and it really handles absorbing the bumps and keeping traction well. If you want 5" of travel, you will have to either flip or turn the rear shock (I turned mine, so the PopLoc cable is routed towards the rear of the bike). Both dérailleurs required adjustment, the front was quite minor while the rear was way off. Still, easy adjustments. Mine arrived with some light scuffing on one tiny portion of the frame, from the box rubbing during transit, but I've already put more scuffs on it while riding, so that doesn't concern me much

After adjusting the dérailleurs, turning the rear shock and setting up my shock settings, it's been a fantastic bike to ride.

The only downside is that if you want a medium or large, they're out again until october

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    The only downside is that if you want a medium or large, they're out again until october
    Crap!!! That will be a problem, I doubt I can keep my old hardtail going that long. Man what to do now?!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Sorry to revive a dead post. I just got a Fantom Pro DS frame and was wondering, which of the eye holes on the rear suspension is for how much travel. I'm gonna take a shot in the dark and say that the middle hole is for 4", but I'm still confused as to which hole is for 3" and which is for 5" travel.

Thanks!

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Koin View Post
    Sorry to revive a dead post. I just got a Fantom Pro DS frame and was wondering, which of the eye holes on the rear suspension is for how much travel. I'm gonna take a shot in the dark and say that the middle hole is for 4", but I'm still confused as to which hole is for 3" and which is for 5" travel.

Thanks!

The hole furthest away from the pivot is for the shortest travel setting.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Ok thanks. That's a problem as the Rock Shox Monarch RT3 I have has a valve that has a potential to be chopped off by the rocker arm. That's what happened to my old Monarch 3.3 (apparently the valve was facing outward and got cleaved off). The RT3 doesn't have a movable valve, so I wonder how will that work?

I've heard mixed things about which hole is what setting. Some people have told me the farthest one from the pivot is the longest travel and others have told me what you have said, which is why I'm confused. How can you tell?
    Last edited by Koin; 05-12-2012 at 09:37 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Thanks!
    i am trying to get a fantom pro ds frame since the one i ordered, a large, might be too big. i was wondering, where would i get one from?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I found mine on Pinkbike.com and bought it from a seller there. No buyer protection there through, so gotta know what ur doing. Ebay might have some since lots of people just buy the bike for the components and then sell the frames.

All I found on ebay was a large size frame.
    Motobecane Fantom Team Large Rockshox Monarch 4.2 rear shock FSA Orbit XL II | eBay

Here's one on Pinkbike
    FS : Motobecane Fantom Elite Frame 18" - Pinkbike

And a full fantom on pinkbike
    2005 18.5" Motobecane Fantom Elite DS - Pinkbike

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I found mine on Pinkbike.com and bought it from a seller there. No buyer protection there through, so gotta know what ur doing. Ebay might have some since lots of people just buy the bike for the components and then sell the frames.

All I found on ebay was a large size frame.
    Motobecane Fantom Team Large Rockshox Monarch 4.2 rear shock FSA Orbit XL II | eBay

Here's one on Pinkbike
    FS : Motobecane Fantom Elite Frame 18" - Pinkbike

And a full fantom on pinkbike
    2005 18.5" Motobecane Fantom Elite DS - Pinkbike

Good luck!
    VERY HELPFUL.

Serious.

Too bad the one that would have been perfect, is sold. D'oh!

Members who have read this thread: 0