Pulled the trigger on a Fantom HT Trail- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010

... and if we just ... Pulled the trigger on a Fantom HT Trail

So after the longest 14 mile ride on my $80 Iron Horse wally world special yesterday I convinced the wife to let me go ahead and order the Fantom Trail. I got about 7 miles in and the bike started squeeking so I turned around. Abuot 9 miles into the entire ride I noticed the ride was getting really sluggish (I just filled up the tires before I left), so I look at my tires and my rear tire is pancaking a little bit. Damn. Oh, and between all that my chain popped about 2-3 times.

Anyway, I was pretty much set on the 600HT but kept eyeing the Fantom Trail. Better brakes, same fram as higher end Fantom's, Dart 3 (should be more than enough for me...gravel trails, no more than 2-4ft drops and plenty of pavement). Overall a good platform to build off of when things break...hopefully they don't.

So moving on, are there any other Fantom Trail owners out there that can give me some pointers on assembly when I get the bike and things to look for? Also, after ordering I noticed that the sizing says because of the longer fork travel the frame is a bit higher. Whooops, I measured myself on bikes at LBS's and found that I fit well on a 17/18" bike. The standover on this is 28.5", will I be ok?

Can't wait to get the bike, I'll try to post pics when I get it in.

you never can tell
    Jul 2010
    That's really cool! I too was looking at the 600HT/700HT due to budget, but I kept thinking about where I wanted components to be better and where I would accept a slightly lower-level item. This led me to the decision to go with the Fantom. I bet you'll be very pleased with the bike.

As to the size/standover height, there is less standover clearance because of the fork...but we don't know your size and so can't comment on the compatibility.

When assembling it, check every nut/bolt/screw/QR/etc. Most of them on mine were just fine, but you never know.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I have about a 30/30.5 inseam. With the Trek 3700 18" I had to pull the bike up a little bit to T bag it...hah. With The Dart 3 though it's not like it's crazy higher, is it? I'm starting to second guess the size now. A little to late for that..

you never can tell
    Jul 2010
    I think you'll be fine. That's more clearance than I have standing over mine, and it's fine. Don't worry about it, set the bike up, taking time to figure out details like bar, shifter, brake lever, and seat positions...then get riding!

S*it Happens!
    The Fantom was a good choice. Here are two photos. One is setup as a MTB and the other is setup as a road/city bike.

Congrats!

-_0
    _ `\<,_
    (+)/ (+)
    Like life…the trail is unpredictable...

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    NIiiiiiiiccccceeeee!!!! What tires are on your street cruiser? I'm already looking for slicks and i don't have the bike...

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    LOL.. I just pulled the trigger on one last night myself.. Can't wait to ditch the el cheapo mundo walmart fs special im using.. Its a creaking nightmare, but has LOTS of miles on it..

S*it Happens!
    Quote Originally Posted by spm2600
    NIiiiiiiiccccceeeee!!!! What tires are on your street cruiser? I'm already looking for slicks and i don't have the bike...

The tires are Michelin Transworld City. They have a reflective strip for safety. Also, have PROTEK PLUS layer under the tread to eliminate flats.

This is cool…In doing a goggle search for the tires. I typed “Michelin Transworld City” then clicked on “Image” and I noticed if you scroll down just a bit. The photo of my Moto is visible…the same photo I posted.

Awesome!! My photos are getting around.
    -_0
    _ `\<,_
    (+)/ (+)
    Like life…the trail is unpredictable...

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Mine came in today.. I had to go 16" cause im a short dude..

Assembled and dialed in inside of an hour.. First ride was on road.. Not bad at all.. Clean shifts from any front ring position, and up or down the rear is smooth as silk.. Didn't have to touch either of them out of the box..

The BB5's OTOH, took some doing to get right.. The rear was a bit cocked, and needed to be loosened, and reseated to get it to squareup. The front one was the bugger. No matter what i did, I couldn't get the lever to stop where I wanted it. Thing would just almost go to the bars when it was set up properly. so, spin in the adjustable side to offset the whole housing closer to the disc, and then adjust the cable a bit tighter. Strange, but it worked.. Got the levers right where i wanted them, with no rubs, and no squeal at all from either..

Your REALLY gonna like this ride.. Well worth the 6 bills for it..

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Got mine, assembled it and was putting the last part on (front caliper) and realized a screw got loose in shipping and must have fell out a hole in the box. I will call bikesdirect tomorrow as well as stop at the LBS to see if they have that. Damn... no riding yet!

Members who have read this thread: 0