Pulled the trigger...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Pulled the trigger...

I just pulled the trigger on a 19" fantom29er pro sl. Woohoo! I will document recieving and putting the bike together here... I dont see myself having too much difficulty with it. I was really hesitant to spend a grand on a bike from an internet dealer, but its just too good a deal to pass up.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Please post some reviews...
    I'm getting ready to do the same.

Particularly, I'm interested in how the geometry lines up with the size you chose.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I am lucky in that I have a cycle spectrum locally. I was able to ride both a 17 and 19 inch 29er. These were the base model fantom 29er. I found with the 17 I was sitting practically bolt upright, and the seatpost was close to the limit of insertion.. The 19 let me stretch out a little more, although still pretty upright. Very little weight on my hands. I will definitely post a build and ride review when i get the bike. It should be here by thursday.

-

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I'm looking forward to it also, just seeing how much is actually involved in putting these bikes together. All I've heard is they are "90%" together already. And I would like to hear how the whole process went on your end.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by GoMordecai
    I'm looking forward to it also, just seeing how much is actually involved in putting these bikes together. All I've heard is they are "90%" together already. And I would like to hear how the whole process went on your end.
    Check out this guy's blog:
    http://motobecanefantom29.blogspot.c...g-started.html

He goes over the full assembly of a fantom 29er. I will try and do the same. The only difference will be the build level being put together. From everywhere I have read, only the most inept and mechanically challenged cant put the thing together.

ok so I started a blog at http://bigmuddywheels.blogspot.com to document building this bike. What the hell, Ill jump on the bandwagon. Probably wont see much action till thursday.

-
    Last edited by i2ambler; 11-03-2009 at 10:52 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    HA! that's exactly what I've been looking for....thanks for the links.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I've been riding my Pro SL 29er for about 6 weeks now and it totally rips. I sold the Juicy 7's and put on BB7's for simplicity. Added a longer seatpost (400mm) and replaced the Small Block 8's with Rampages. The 8's are no good for east Tennessee. I also went 1x9 as a personal preference, lost about a pound off the bike. I am 5' 8" 31" inseam and got the 15". Fits perfect. I just raced it in the 12 hours of the Hill of Truth in the worst conditions I've ever rode a bike in and it totally rocked.

As for assembly, if I didn't change the brakes, tires and re-pack my head set, I could have been riding in 30 minutes.

As I've said before, go to a local shop and see what fits you. Compare the geometry of the bike that fits to the info on the BD website and then purchase with confidence.

The bike is sweet and I've had nothing but compliments.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I just got my bike. It showed up with the XTR derailer and the avid elixer cr disk brakes which was definately a huge bonus!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Stupid question. I just installed the stem and the handlebars. I feel some friction when i turn the handlebars from side to side. I do not notice any movement up or down or side to side. Do i need to add grease somewhere?

Thanks, first time doing any bike assembly.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Back off the top cap just a hair.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jabone
    I just got my bike. It showed up with the XTR derailer and the avid elixer cr disk brakes which was definately a huge bonus!!!

Nice.. Im hoping mine comes with the elixir CR brakes as well. I think the juicy 7 brakes are no longer in production. Did you get an xtr rear and front der? is the rear XTR the shadow model? They say no choice between shadow and regular xtr.. but Id rather have the shadow - since its carbon fiber fancy.

*update* Tracking says my package is going to be delivered today instead of thursday! Nice!
    Last edited by i2ambler; 11-04-2009 at 04:52 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Stupid question. I just installed the stem and the handlebars. I feel some friction when i turn the handlebars from side to side. I do not notice any movement up or down or side to side. Do i need to add grease somewhere?

Thanks, first time doing any bike assembly.
    It's a smidge tight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsjZx9Kg7ng

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    fronet derailler was deore. Rear was not the shadow which is good imo because i have read bad reviews.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Should i put grease on the inside of the stem? Should i check grease on headset?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Should i put grease on the inside of the stem? Should i check grease on headset?

Thanks
    I go by the general rule of putting a thin layer of grease on just about any place where metal touches metal.

It sounds like you're interested in maintaining your own bike, which is a great idea. If so, pick up a copy of Zinn and it will be well worth the $17 spent.

http://www.amazon.com/Zinn-Art-Mount...7368096&sr=8-1

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Thanks
    don't need grease on stem. Try loosening then cap bolt a tad.. You may be a bit too tight..

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Looks like i am doing more damage than good. I went and touched the brake rotors. Should i use rubbing alcohol to clean them? Can i do this withought removing the rotors from the tire?

Thanks,

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Looks like i am doing more damage than good. I went and touched the brake rotors. Should i use rubbing alcohol to clean them? Can i do this withought removing the rotors from the wheel?

Thanks,

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Looks like i am doing more damage than good. I went and touched the brake rotors. Should i use rubbing alcohol to clean them? Can i do this withought removing the rotors from the wheel?

Thanks,
    touched them? Im not sure touching the brake rotors is a problem.

Wild Man

Thanks,
    Just wipe the rotors down with a clean rag--the oils from your fingertips shouldn't be that big of a deal, and it didn't come in contact with the brakes...

Members who have read this thread: 0