pro 29sl vs fantom ds Pro- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

pro 29sl vs fantom ds Pro

finally I got the money to buy my new bike... now which one is the best? can anybody help me?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    "Best?" Define that. I went with the 29PRO SL, but I wanted a 29er hardtail. Those two are an apples to oranges comparison. One is 29", the other 26", one is FS, the other is hardtail. One is $1K, the other is $1500, etc, etc.

For the money and what I wanted the 29PRO SL was the best buy.

mtbr member
    'best'? heh

What kind of terrain are you on?
    KHS
    Motobecane
    Fisher
    Kona

Loser
    Just me, but I wouldn't buy a FS bike without riding it first. With a hardtail (29 or 26) you pretty much know the story from the geometry chart, with FS the suspension design is going to affect how the bike rides and you can't tell that without riding it.

I have both a 29er HT and a high end 6x6 Specialized FS 26er and I ride on very technical, hilly terrain with both bikes. They are both fun in their own way. The 29er takes more finesse and climbs much better, the FS is way more fun to plow down hills and catch air. That said when it comes time to ride and I pull a bike out of the garage, its the 29er more often than the FS. While a lot of bike skills transfer from one to the other, they are very different machines to ride.

John

S*it Happens!
    As previously stated, this is a apple to oranges comparison. It more has to do with what you’re looking for in a bike and how much you are willing to spend.

A full suspension bike is more forgiving to a less then perfect rider. As for how these bikes handle. They’ve been around for a while and they are tried and true designs. If you need more info on them, there are plenty of reviews in this forum.

Here is one. Fantom Elite DS

As for the 29er, everybody seems to love them and if you ridden a 26er hardtail before. Then most, likely you will as well.

Here is a review link: Fantom 29er PRO SL

Good Luck!
    -_0
    _ `\<,_
    (+)/ (+)
    Like life…the trail is unpredictable...

Members who have read this thread: 0