Pro 29 SL Rear Cassette Change- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Pro 29 SL Rear Cassette Change

Looking to improve low gear performance on my 29er, Anyone have any opinions on 11/32 vs 11/34 rear cassette. Can you make this change without changing the chain length?

S*it Happens!
    This question has been ask all over the net. In doing a search for your answer, this is what Iíve come up with.

A lot of math that comes into play with gear ratiosÖ But keeping it simple, Some of it also has to do with your physical condition and that for the most part will determine a need. A 29er in relation to a 26er is about 11.5 % more difficult to pedal using the same gear ratio.

So in short, you will benefit by going to a 11-34 cassette and you will need to add two links. However, itís been said, that if you are going to a new cassette, you should use a new chain.

So far, i haven't read about anyone in this forum having any issues with what they have as stock. I guess, like i said in another thread...people, just quickly learn to adapt without much thought.

Good Luck!
    -_0
    _ `\<,_
    (+)/ (+)
    Like lifeÖthe trail is unpredictable...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks for the info Moto Rider. I've been debating this myself with my SL though I'm looking at the 12-36 HG-61 as seen on the Sette Rezzo. I know there have been some times on the trails I wished I had at least a 34t cog in the back.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    If the chain is installed properly, yes you would techincially need to lengthen the chain in order to avoid damage to the rear derailleur if you ever accidentally shifted into the big-big combination. You also will need to have a long cage derailleur to reun a 34 tooth in the back to avoid damaging the derailleur in the big big combination. But, if you make sure you never shift into that combination (its cross chaining and should't be used anyways) then you will be okay. I also find that Motos chains typcially have more links in them, so they are longer than needed to begin with.

But as I said the big test is how the rear derailleur acts when you shift into the big-big combination. You can put on the cassette, then test by gently shifting into that combo and see if it works or not. If it doesn't you can either get a longer chain or just make sure not to shift into that gear combination.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

In Transit
    Nov 2009
    I switched out the stock 11-32 cassette for an XT 11-34 that I had and I'm glad I did. There are times when I could have even used a 36t cog in the back when my legs are jelly at the end of the ride. Then again, I'm not a terribly good climber. The SRAM chain I put on at the same time was exactly the right length for the 11-34 using the one link overlap method, so I might have had to add links had I gone with a 12-36.

rcl
    mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I changed to a 12-36T on Pro SL 29er. No problem encountered to date. Have not been on the more difficult trails yet. Hoping to be able to stay in front 32 ring for all my Florida riding. Gain ratio's are pretty close to 26", 12-34t cassette.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

12-36 Hg-61

I installed a HG-61 on my moto and is great for the steep hills in the SF bay area. No adjustment was needed to the chain . It is heavy but the price was wright.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pro 29 SL Rear Cassette Change-picture-003.jpg  

Members who have read this thread: 1