Post Up Your Road Bikes!- Mtbr.com
    Kneel Before Your Master

Post Up Your Road Bikes!

I know its not a Mtn bike but I thought you guys would like to see it. I decided I needed something for the roads since the trails are often too wet to ride around here. I got my wife a Cafe Sprint so I needed a road bike that would be good for going fast and just cruising around. That is where this baby comes in. Its basically a full blown road bike with straight bars and an adjustable stem. The idea is I can be comfortable but still agressive when I want to.

Last edited by mbogosia; 09-12-2010 at 08:02 AM. Reason: New Title

S*it Happens!
    That’s awesome!

I’m sure a lot of guy’s own road bikes on here and for the reasons you stated. When, the trails are soaked and you don’t what to destroy them, you hit the road. It goes’ hand n hand…

I got enough scratch together and ordered one…I’ll post up some photos soon. I ordered a Mirage PRO, Nice wheels, cool color and a carbon fork.

Here is a link. http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...rage_pro_x.htm

Who else owns one or is thinking about getting a road bike?
    Last edited by Moto Rider; 09-09-2010 at 07:34 AM.
    -_0
    _ `\<,_
    (+)/ (+)
    Like life…the trail is unpredictable...

Pimpmobile
    Mar 2010
    Sweeet!

I have a Windsor Stratford flat-bar bike that's very fun to ride.... Couple levels below yours.
    "Fear not the ob-stackles in your path"

Kneel Before Your Master
    Thanks guys! I think this should turn in to a "Show us Your Road Bike thread!". So if anyone wants post up what you got with pics.

mtbr member
    Hell yeah! Those Cafe Noir bikes are killer, and I may just pick one up for a rain bike/commuter. I'm currently commuting on my Windsor Knight, which is a great fast ride but will not accept bolt-on fenders. The clearance between the road brake calipers and the tire is super close, and the carbon fork is too narrow for fenders. I have a set of clip-ons that work tolerably well, but don't have full coverage. I'm debating between that bike and the Windsor Tourist, which is a pretty solid steel frame touring bike. Anyhoo, nice bike, enjoy! Here's my Knight...

"Got everything you need?"

Kneel Before Your Master
    Nice Bike man! I rode 5 miles tonight and man it whipped me. I am just getting back ito riding and I am hoping that the ability to do some quick 5-10 mile rides on the road after work will help my mtn biking. I hvae some decent hills near me so that 5 miles was a biatch.

mtbr member
    I picked up my cafe noir last winter, and I love it. super fast, super fun!!
    I'm suprised i have not hurt myself on the thing!

S*it Happens!
    Well, here it is, my new ride. Shipping was fast as it took only three days. Assembly was easy as that took only thirty minutes. I’m not going to get into a lengthy review here…this is my first road bike since Jr high. Back then, we just called everything bikes. There was no distinction between them. It looks like a bike and rides like a bike…must be a bike.

It has a very nice metallic red paint job. I love the carbon fork, and the wheelset have these thin aero spokes, they look cool and seem strong. Nothing was out of place and not much to assemble. The rear derailleur needed some adjustment, no big thing. The bike is light, as it should be and everything seems to be of good quality. The free pedals are a nice touch and work well…

Having a road bike is a good thing. With a 160 mile long limestone path close to my home and that’s only one and a half miles away. Plus, I live in the boonies. Plenty of awesome back roads. MTB for me is Saw Wee Kee, and that’s a twenty five mile drive. Worth the drive, but not as convenient…

I do have some questions about tires and I think one day, I would like to do the flat bar conversion. If anything, for the sake of customization. I’ll save those for another time. All in all, a big thumbs up!

Here are some photos of my ride.

Fred.
    -_0
    _ `\<,_
    (+)/ (+)

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Fred you asked who else is thinking about getting a road bike......well, I am now. I really like the looks of the one you got too. I've been mountain biking almost everyday as I've been up in Asheville for the last month. It's got me exciting about biking in general. I haven't had a "road" bike for many, many years. I think it will make the rails to trails a lot more fun this winter in Florida. My Fantom 29er has served me well but if I'd known I was going to get into MTB this much, I would have opted for Fly 29er. I still may, I've only had the Fantom for about 3 months and I've got 600+ miles on it, most of it off road.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    What does your Cafe Noir weigh .

Kneel Before Your Master
    Sweet bike Moto Rider! That thing just looks fast. As far as the weight of my Noir I am not sure. I only have an older bathroom scale so its hard to get an accurate reading. Just by picking it up I can tell its not a superlight bike, but it does move really well and it is really fun to ride.

S*it Happens!
    Thanks for the compliments, it is a awesome bike…

There’re a lot of beautiful sights out there, and not all of them can be seen on a single track. It’s something I think you might appreciate MotoX. Like I said…it go’s hand n hand.

mbogosia, that’s a good idea you have, the one of changing the name of your thread. If we get more post, it would make a nice sticky.

Anyway, ride hard.
    -_0
    _ `\<,_
    (+)/ (+)

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Does anyone know if there is a Motobecane/bikes direct friendly forum somewhere for road bikes? I was looking at the bike direct options last night and they are vast. I have not a clue what I want. The cycle cross bikes seem like a good idea (more durable) but I don't know much weight and speed are sacrificed for the increased toughness. I wish they would include the weight for all their bikes, not just the high end ones.

S*it Happens!
    Road Bike Review is the big one. Here is a link: Motobecane Road Forum

Your points on a cross bike are dead on…a bit more versatility VS a bit of speed lose and slight weight gain.

I can’t speak from experience, however, I can from logic…your “average road bikes” will be lighter in weight to all but the lightest MTB’s. A cross bike can’t be two or so pounds more the your average road bike…so, we are looking at around 21lbs for an average cross bike. (My Guess)

As for a reduction in overall speed, that will mostly come from the tires. A bit more friction due to the tread. Most cross tires have minimal tread in the center and more so on the sidewall for cornering. So it’s overall reduction, shouldn’t be too noticeable for an average rider. It’s versatility certainly outweigh any of your worries.

So, my thoughts are…if you have no desire to be a road racer, you should be fine.
    -_0
    _ `\<,_
    (+)/ (+)

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Great! Thanks for the pointing me in the right direction. I am curious though, why you didn't choose a Cross bike. I'm just don't know how fragile lightweight road bikes are today. Hit a pot hole, bend the wheel? I'm just so use only riding MTBs.

S*it Happens!
    As for myself, I’m coming from MTB’s also…but, nothing seems fragile on this bike. Motobecane, started out making road bikes. So, I’m sure they know what their doing. I know their MTB’s can take it… so, I don’t anticipate having any issues with any of the components. I know all the back roads and paths around here. Been hiking and riding them for years so, I’m not worried. Also, I like the looks and the carbon fork. It’s an awesome bike!

I’m not looking to be a racer. I look more like a mountain biker, lost in transition…with my camo shorts and backpack. I’m more of a back road drifter / explorer…

I’m glad you’re thinking about a cross bike. MTB’s are awesome however, when the trail is soaked. It’s nice to have the ability to ride some place different. Save a trail and hit the road…or crushed limestone path.
    Last edited by Moto Rider; 09-12-2010 at 05:29 PM.
    -_0
    _ `\<,_
    (+)/ (+)

S*it Happens!
    My Moto update.

I thought I would give my overall impressions now that I owned this bike for a short time. The bike is fast…as it just makes riding so easy. You literally can go for miles without much effort. I’ve been doing road and crushed lime stone paths. Those are the closest to my home...it’s just so convenient. Well, we are talking about a road bike, here. Everything seems to be holding up well, as I always check my air pressure in my tires. 110psi…that’s a hell of a lot. I need to do it before every ride as it seems to loose around 10-15psi over a day.

I also checked the spokes and the truing of the wheelset. The rear wheel was off a hair from the start. So, I just made an adjustment and it all good. I’ll keep my eye on it…but, I don’t anticipate much drama.

So light, fast and easy…make riding like butter. MTB’s are awesome, However, it’s nice to unwind and just have a nice relaxing ride. The bike looks like it cost much more then it did...that's the impression I get from bystanders.

I love this bike…
    -_0
    _ `\<,_
    (+)/ (+)

mtbr member
    Great to hear good things about the bike. I definitely concur about road bikes. MTB's on the trail are a blast, but there is just something about putting 30 miles down on a road bike like it's nothing. Seems like the miles just click by and you can get into a groove easier with a more metered strength output.
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Thanks for the review. I've dropped the cross bike idea and am trying to decide between the Windsor Fens and the Motobecane Mirage Pro. I like the looks of the Mirage better and I've become partial to the Motobecane name. Kind of funny, I didn't care for it at first but it's growing on me. The Windsor bike does have better components, though.

Moto rider how do you feel about the gearing? Is the 18 speed spread out properly?

S*it Happens!
    Quote Originally Posted by motox72
    Thanks for the review. I've dropped the cross bike idea and am trying to decide between the Windsor Fens and the Motobecane Mirage Pro. I like the looks of the Mirage better and I've become partial to the Motobecane name. Kind of funny, I didn't care for it at first but it's growing on me. The Windsor bike does have better components, though.

Moto rider how do you feel about the gearing? Is the 18 speed spread out properly?
    To be totally honest, like is said in my first post, this is my first road bike since Jr High. So I’m not an expert on the subject. Also, I’m not a big gear changer anyway so for myself it seems fine. I haven’t been sweating too hard and I don’t feeling like I’m missing anything.

The Windsor Fens has a lot going for it. A **** load of Shimano 105 and Richey components. So for a hundred more it’s definitely worth it. As for myself, I’m Moto Rider and not Windsor Rider. LOL! But it does seem like a nice alternative.
    -_0
    _ `\<,_
    (+)/ (+)

Space for rent...
    I got myself a Phantom Cross a couple of years ago, so I could could ride the roads when the trails were wet...one of the best decisions I ever made. I ended up riding it throughout the winter (I live in Canada) when the roads were clear, and it helped my keep my fitness for those 5 months i usually wouldn't ride. As I didnt want to trash my bike with road salt etc, I then bought a Dawes singlespeed fixie the following year to use as my winter beater-bike. THAT, is a fun bike to ride!

I believe the gearing/riding position of a cyclocross bike is somewhat different to a traditional road bike, but I find both of them more than acceptable (not being a roadie, I have nothing to compare them to). I did buy myself a set of road slicks, and am amazed at how much faster they are compared to the wider/nobby cx tires. Drop bars do take some time to get use to at first, but after a while you don't notice them.

I would say any mountain biker who is considering a road bike, should seriously consider a cyclocross as their first road bike. I have ridden it on some tamer trails and I'm surprised how easy it handles them. I certainly wouldn't consider tackling any serious rock gardens/drops etc, but small roots etc are no problem.
    It's only pain......

Space for rent...
    Whoops...forgot image
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post Up Your Road Bikes!-paris-ancaster.jpg  

It's only pain......

S*it Happens!

Responsible Trail Use.

Thanks Steve, you make a lot good points.

With all the mountain bikers out there. We only have a few cyclist that are willing to give up their free time to maintain the local trail systems. If not for their efforts…most of the trails would be in total disrepair. For ten minutes of joy on a soaked trail. some inadvertently cause hours of work for fellow cyclist who would much rather be riding as well. However, someone needs to stand up and do the work. If not, eventually, they would all be closed by local land mangers. So it’s up to all of us to practice responsible trail use.

The best way of doing this, is to find an alternative form of enjoyment that still falls inline with what we love to do.
    -_0
    _ `\<,_
    (+)/ (+)

S*it Happens!
    Here are some miscellaneous photos from my rides so far. Bike still doing fine and it did take a little bit of time to get accustom to the seating position. Now, I’m more comfortable and I’m starting to rack up some miles. Still, I look more like a mountain biker lost in transition but I’m happy with that.

Fred.
    Last edited by Moto Rider; 09-30-2010 at 04:08 PM.
    -_0
    _ `\<,_
    (+)/ (+)

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Moto Rider: Looks like an ideal place for a road bike, no traffic!

Well, I struggled on what bike to get for my first "real" road bike (closest thing I ever had was a 10 speed, a long time ago). I really liked the red mirage, the wheel set and only 2 chain rings, I liked all the 105 components on the Fens but in the end, I didn't pick either. I went with the Vent Noir. No package (in the price range I was looking) was exactly what I wanted but all exceed what I think I need. The Vent Noir won by having a little bit of both the Mirage and the Fens (I guess).

I too expect to be somewhat "lost" on a road bike. I'm broadening my biking horizons with something new and hopefully fun.

My new bike is scheduled to arrive tonight. I placed the order Monday at noon. That would be a pretty fast delivery if it does arrive today. I'll be inspecting the box when it arrives, before I sign.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    " width="549">" width="549">

Well that went well. UPS showed up a little while ago. The box had a couple of holes, I quickly checked them out, signed and opened the box. Everything was in fine shape, assembly was a snap. Now I'm going to tinker with it for the rest of the evening. All part of the fun of a new toy.

I order accessories the day I ordered the bike, the bike beat the accessories. I didn't expect that.

S*it Happens!
    Congrats!! that is so awesome.
    -_0
    _ `\<,_
    (+)/ (+)

S*it Happens!
    Here are some more riding and exploring photos. Just showing off my work as a starving artist...

-_0
    _ `\<,_
    (+)/ (+)

AZ
    banned
    Pic # 4 has some sales potential IMHO .

S*it Happens!
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    Pic # 4 has some sales potential IMHO .

Thanks man…my GF and I are going to start working on putting together some prints that will be matted and framed. Something like a 11x14 frame…matted with an 8x10 print. Then we will start taking them to small coffee shops and restaurants. I will also put together a catalog…She is one smart lady…that MTB’s, camps, hikes…awesome woman.
    -_0
    _ `\<,_
    (+)/ (+)

CS2
    mtbr member
    Cafe Noirs are nice bikes. But why is this a sticky.

discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by CS2 View Post
    Cafe Noirs are nice bikes. But why is this a sticky.
    Someone asked. now someone wants it unstuck.... Me, I dont care, I dont play in this corner. I defer to the 'general consensus'.
    Vote!

S*it Happens!
    Quote Originally Posted by CdaleTony View Post
    Someone asked. now someone wants it unstuck.... Me, I dont care, I dont play in this corner. I defer to the 'general consensus'.
    Vote!
    I thought it was a good idea. It introduces an alternate form of biking and at the same time. It promotes responsible trail use, as we all know…one shouldn’t ride the single track after it rained because of countless volunteer hours involved repairing the damage. Not to forget the land mangers whom receive pressure form outside individuals demanding to close all trails.

Whatever, the majority wants…up to them.
    -_0
    _ `\<,_
    (+)/ (+)

Members who have read this thread: 0