Phantom 29 handlebars and fork upgrade question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2014

Phantom 29 handlebars and fork upgrade question

I just purchased a Motobecane Phantom 29 expert. I absolutely love this bike. I am pretty tall at 6'4" and have big hands the handlebars do not allow me to move the shifters any closer to the center since they thicken up quite a bit. Are there other handlebars that you would recommend that my stay thinner to allow me to move the shifters and brake levers inward more.

Also I want to eventually upgrade my fork. I can definitely see the limitations of the Suntour XCT. What would you recommend that doesn't break the bank? I saw that suntour does have an upgrade program where i can get the Suntour Raidon for around $180. Are there other forks you guys would recommend?

Thank you

Land of the 230+
    My ritchey comp bars allowed me to cut a bit, and still move the barakes, shifters and remote lockout inward a bit. Most XC bars will work. The all mountain / freeride bars usually expand to a larger diameter tube sooner than xc bars.

As for a fork, I bought the suntour epicon outright on amazon for less than the upgrade program. Some people will tell you to be wary of so called "grey market" epicons, but I haven't had any problems thus far. Otherwise you can look at a rockshox recon silver or gold on sale for a few bucks more. I feel the epicon still has the edge until you get to the REBA or better, but you wont find those in the 199 to 239 range like you will with the epicon.