Opinions on a new buy (fly Pro) and frame size- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Opinions on a new buy (fly Pro) and frame size

Ideally I wanted to buy the Fly Pro with the x-9 components but they don't appear to be in stock for the foreseeable future. I'm 5'9" and some change and I am on the fence about the 26" frame size 16" and 18". I have a pretty normal size torso, 30-31" inseam, one size by my estimation would be small, and one may make me stretch. Any owners of this frame have an opinion or others with a good sense of MTB geometry feel like chiming in on this subject? Also any direct opinions on component varieties of this frame would also be appreciated.

This was the SRAM first choice (sold out):
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...fly_pro_x9.htm

This is a runner up for same price with Shimano xt/slx combo:
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...y_pro_3x10.htm

Older 2010 model of the above version (orange only):
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/.../fly_pro_x.htm

If the "boss" approves, my budget is in the 1000-1300 range no more. Any thoughts form any of you fine people? Thanks in advance!

-Chris

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    If I were you I would go with the 18". If its too long, then you can get a shorter stem. A 16" is kind of small, you would most likely need a longer stem and a longer seatpost because you would need more than max extension. I usually recommend to people who want to buy online and don't know what size they need, to use the fit calculator at competitive cyclist. Its a little bit of work, but it will give you a pretty good idea of what you need. I have never used SRAM drivetrain parts, so I can't comment on your other question.

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za...der=M&units=in
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I just bought the 2011 Dynasys model in 16". I'm 5'8" with a 30" inseam and it fits me perfectly. I think the standover would be a little too tight with an 18". This bike has a pretty tall bottom bracket so you feel farther off the ground once you're on it. I like the reach as well. I had read some reviews of the dynasys and probably would have preferred the the sram version but it was sold out. So far, after about 100 miles, I can't complain. Haven't missed a shift and really like the reach and placement of the shifter/brakes. On the flats, this bike just flies. Hills aren't too bad either. I'm trying to talk my buddy into one right now. Whatever size you get, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Peace.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thanks for the tips. So it's better (in general) to go with a bigger bike then a smaller one when you straddle the size recommendations? I'll use the calculator to get the best fit. Any idea when BD gets new bikes in stock. I've had sram in the past and would prefer it and the brushed metal finish, but I'll settle for the other fine Bikes for sure if everything is equal.
    -C

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth
    Thanks for the tips. So it's better (in general) to go with a bigger bike then a smaller one when you straddle the size recommendations? I'll use the calculator to get the best fit. Any idea when BD gets new bikes in stock. I've had sram in the past and would prefer it and the brushed metal finish, but I'll settle for the other fine Bikes for sure if everything is equal.
    -C
    Generally you want to pick the bike closest to your size, which in this case is tprobably the 18. Usually a 16 is for at most ,people who are 5' 8. ".
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I recently bought the fly pro. I just like you was on the fence about size. I am 5' 9" with a 31 1/2" inseam. I bought the 16". It fits me well. I mostly ride in the city using slicks which drops the standover a bit. For this I wish I would have went with the 18 but when it comes to trail riding I picked the right size. You have to enter in account a more off road worthy tire. the kendas have a low profile. One thing that was a nice surprise was there was no silver in the letters on the black fly pro. It looks way better than I thought it would. Hope I didn't confuse you.

Members who have read this thread: 0