Opinions on 2011 Motobecane Fantom 29PRO- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Opinions on 2011 Motobecane Fantom 29PRO

Looking to get above bike. Gotta jump soon before some other expense knocks on the door (read recently oil could go to $150/bbl within year) and Pro is at limit of budget. Was going with 2010, but BD ran out of my size (thinking I should go with 19 inch. Have 35 inch inseam at 6' 1.5"and 200 lbs). Price increase has me kinda wondering, though. Is the price difference worth it? Maybe go with the Elite. Was a casual rider (wrecked last mountain bike over a year ago) but wanna ride more mountain bike as road bike getting tedious. Also son in college wants me to ride mountain endurance races with him and I am not sure the upgrades would be worth the extra $300. From what I read on these forums weight could be an issue over time (I am over 50 - are there many riders over 50? I live in the gulf south and most my age seem to prefer cigarettes, beer, overeating and football to exercise). Any ruminations would be appreciated.

S*it Happens!
    I know plenty of riders that are over fifty…riding keep you young in more ways that one. Upgrades are always worth it and it’s much cheaper to buy a bike that already has them from the start then doing it over time…if one can make that jump.

I think the elite is worth it and you will be happy for sure. In this price range weight is not really a factor because they are all on the heaver side...need to spend much more if you want to go lighter...but you should be fine.

Good Luck.
    -_0
    _ `\<,_
    (+)/ (+)
    Like life…the trail is unpredictable...

DynoDon
    Moto nailed it, the more you spend the more (or less in weight) you get. There are some riders like me over 50, I'm 64, I have a heart rate of 40, don' t take any medicine, knew plenty of people that smoked, drank and did drugs, they are all gone now. RIP!!!
    I met a guy at a recent 4 trail, 60 mile event, I said to him,"I've finally met someone my age doing this" then he said,"I'll soon be 78" I rode with his group, he was riding at a consistant, steady pace, he does alot of road riding too, the group we were with was waiting on him, and the slower riders when one of the riders said, "George (the 78 yr old) just passed his 10,000 mile" I said,"What do you mean?" answer, "he rides 50 to 60 miles a day, he just pass 10,000 miles for this year" that was a month ago, so he's probably got another 1,500 miles or so by now, and thats in Michigan with our short riding season.
    Happy Trails

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Most excellent!

Thanks for the upchuck, fell better about my decision so I am gonna jump before I read the economic news again. Glad to here I have many years of biking left and will not be the only one with thinning hair out thare. I bet my son a year's tuition I am going to best him in our first race together. I will let ya know how it goes with the bike.

Also, any quick and dirty ways to bone up on the basics of both riding and maintenance? I have read some but any shortcuts would be welcome.

DynoDon
    Just have fun with it, the hardest thing for me is climbing and stamina, so I found a hill I work on, trying different gears, standing sitting, different suspensions set ups, I'm going to take some spinning classes during the winter, I think a bike computer is a great thing to track your progress, good luck on riding with your son, your a lucky man. enjoy it. Youtube or Zinn & mountain bike maintance, for maintance, Happy Trails http://www.greggscycles.com/CartGenie/prod-9505.htm

Homey the Clown
    Jan 2004
    Two things get me down about the bike, one is a deal breaker. The silver color pains my aesthetic sensibilities. I like subdued and the Pro is not. The deal breaker is 170mm cranks on a 17 inch bike. I don't know anyone my height (5'9") who rides 170's. Plus I don't know why they come with a 24 tooth small ring rather than a 22 tooth. Since cranks are so expensive and the resale on a pair of 170's is pretty tight, there's no way I would drop the coin. I'd love to hear Mike's take on the decision about crank length.

For the parts spec and in your 19" size I'd say the Pro is a no brainer. The XT parts and nicer fork are very much worth the $300.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I'm going to be 60 in January. After 40 yrs of tough singles tennis and my 1st knee operation I'm quitting tennis and planning to make biking my new activity. I rented an HT 29er and road some trails at the Whitewater center in Charlotte. I loved it and did OK even on the advanced one but decided I want to avoid the most dangerous trails as soon or later I might take a bad fall which would be bad as I get older. I want to ride some on the road too so alternating with slicks on a 29er seemed cool. Was ready to buy the Fantom Pro 29er but now I'm worried I will find myself getting sore if I ride HTs too long on bumpy trailsl. I wish Bikesdirect had the FS 29er ready as I can't afford a good one from the LBS. I'm frozen and can't make a decision. Maybe buy the Pro and trade up to an FS later?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by neweyess
    I'm going to be 60 in January. After 40 yrs of tough singles tennis and my 1st knee operation I'm quitting tennis and planning to make biking my new activity. I rented an HT 29er and road some trails at the Whitewater center in Charlotte. I loved it and did OK even on the advanced one but decided I want to avoid the most dangerous trails as soon or later I might take a bad fall which would be bad as I get older. I want to ride some on the road too so alternating with slicks on a 29er seemed cool. Was ready to buy the Fantom Pro 29er but now I'm worried I will find myself getting sore if I ride HTs too long on bumpy trailsl. I wish Bikesdirect had the FS 29er ready as I can't afford a good one from the LBS. I'm frozen and can't make a decision. Maybe buy the Pro and trade up to an FS later?
    Have you tried looking at other brands that make FS 29ers? I know Trek has one.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by fatcalculator
    Have you tried looking at other brands that make FS 29ers? I know Trek has one.
    Thanks for your suggestion. I have two vintage Trek road bikes I'm getting ready to sell. I know they make good bikes but their Bobby Fishers seem pretty pricey and I still have one kid to put through college and other committments. I like what's on the Fantom Pro 29er for the money and most reviewers seem pretty happy with theirs.

I made my decision travelling in Florida this week when I found out Bikes Direct actually has some stores. I ordered via the store in Jacksonville which meant I pay the same price as online but they add 7% sales tax. Offsetting that is the fact that they put the bike together for you and give you lifetime tune ups and free labor. You only pay for parts. Since I don't know much about working on bikes, it seemed great for me. I live in NC but I make regular trips throughout the SE so I can make that work.

Finally, regarding the rear suspension I found out about the seat suspension options. I looked at the Thudbuster which gets great reviews but finally decided on the Nitropro gas seat post. I know it's not as good as FS but the reviews say its the next best thing and will save your butt on the trail. (About $160.00 delivered.)

So they ordered my bike in a 17" (I'm 5 10 1/2") as they only had 19" in stock and this is one old man who is ready to reinvent his sport and give it a try.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

2011 Moto Fantom Pro 29 SL

Logging in here as a 64 year old with only 1000+ miles logged in 2010 on my Moto but pushing for more in 2011. I got the SL back at the end of 2009 and I'm still amazed at how smooth and fast the ride is. Excellent components and I don't mind the silver so much anymore. I really wanted Red but N/A. Now I see the price up $500.00 and it still looks good with the beefier crank and XTR items. Still a great bike for me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I snagged the Fantom 29pro sl last year <$1K. I like the model very much. Too bad the model is no longer available and the new model went up 40%. The bike is great for urban and xc rides. I made a few upgrades to the Fantom i.e, riser handlebar, and rack to carry gear. My urban tires are Schwalbe Fat Franks. I may add the Thudbuster though when the price is right. I use the Fantom to commute to work. Todays ride 15 F, logged 1500 miles 2010. I'm 53.

I ride a duel suspension off road (Stumpjumper expert) which I rode 80 miles on the White Rim (Canyonland, UT) in Oct. Duel suspension is nice, but high maintenance. I do my own maintainance though and built a few bikes from the frame up. Good luck and be safe!

Members who have read this thread: 0