Oh how I love my wife!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Oh how I love my wife!

Well, my big Four Oh is fast approaching and my wonderful wife bought me a Fly Team Ti 29er for my B-Day. She bought it based on the size recommendations on the BD site, she had a friend of her's put it together as a surprise for me, I found it all nice and shiny and new in my office yesterday. But then enters the problem, I'm 5'9", a 30-31" inseam, and she bought a 17.5" frame size, and my wife threw the box and packing out. I don't want to return it as I'm afraid the 15.5 is too small, and I'm even afraid that BD wont take it back because the packing is gone. Any ideas? The top tube is pretty snug on my.. ahem.. and the bike seems really high. Would a 15.5 serve someone "in between" the Fly's sizing? The 17.5 is rated for 5'9" to 5'10" should I just assume that the 29er should fit snug anyway. I'll write BD to ask them about my predicament and their policy come Monday but for now I want to exhaust all other avenues, I want to ride this bike! Has the rock shox got an adjustment I've overlooked that brings the fork forward, thereby lowering the top tube? Thanks!
    -B

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    17.5 is probably the right size for you. Standover is going to be less on a 29er. If the top tube is the correct length for you then it fits. A 15.5 would be pretty small for someone your size, unless you have really short arms.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I'm about your height and I definitely could not comfortably ride a 15.5" frame.

Perfect frame size for me is generally a 17" but my Motobecane Ti 26er is an 18" but it's ETT and standover are lower than most 18" frames so it fits me perfectly.

You're definitely better off with the 17.5" than a 15.5".

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thanks for the replies guys! I got the brakes and tires on it and stood on it in bare feet in my living room, needless to say I felt it was huge! I took it for a quick spin around the block and you're both right, it really seems to have my geometry down: not too bent, not too erect. I was dismayed at how short the handlebars are but that's a fix for another day. My wife was concerned for my jewels and I think with clip shoes they should be just fine on the chance of a quick forward dismount. I'm 90% sure I will be keeping this size, I'm probably 5'8.7" in my bare feet to be accurate. I ran some curb jumps, made some close bush/fence passes and I seem to be able to put the bike where I need it to be comfortable to run though some trails. It's very light! 29ers are just so shockingly big when you first get on them, takes some acclimation. Has anyone heard the consensus on the handlebars on this bike? I have the 20 speed SRAM xo version so I hope all those gears I never used in my past bikes go "un"missed. Thanks again on the responses, really helps me get rid of the jitters and false buyer's remorse. Beautiful, beautiful bike. I may look at knobbier tires for better downhill cornering but all in all very few complaints.

newfydog
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
    . I may look at knobbier tires for better downhill cornering but all in all very few complaints.
    I never loved those small block 8's, but they work better than the knobs suggest. They seem a little stiff and dead, but a tubeless conversion makes them much springier. They are light, and fast rolling.

mtbr member
    Congrats. I got my fly team Ti 26er frame a couple of weeks ago. Hopefully I can get the bike put together tomorrow. I am so looking forward to riding it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Yeah Rd, I was following your thread closely, they got the frame to you very quickly! I hope you enjoy it. I allowing myself to get very excited to ride it properly today. I didn't want to muck it up on the off chance I had to return it, but the geo fits great. I'm wondering though if there is any further calibration I need to do. It was put together but not really adjusted. Anyone who bought this or similar bike know if they had to make and adjustments to the: shox, gears, breaks, etc.? Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Handlebar width is a personal preference. But most people these days are running wider than the old standard 580mm.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    17.5 should be perfect for you. keep in mind the moto has lifek the superfly a pretty slack seat tube angle. you will need to use a straigth seatpost with centered seat. this shortens the bike quite a bit.

looks like your wife has been aware of all this ...

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    LOL! She always was smarter than me.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    no different than my wife and me. must be normal.

just wondering sometimes why she married me. guess doesnt matter much, all that matters really is that she actually did marry me ...

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    You have an awesome wife I am about exactly your size and ride the 17.5"

I bought the bike used, so didn't have the choice there. The standover clearance isn't what my 26er I rode was, so I was very nervous at first.

The top tube length is perfect. The bike feels/handels great, I love it! I had a decent crash a few weeks ago. The jewels were fine, but cracked a helmet. Didn't hit the top tube at all, and just had the usual skinned up forearms, and legs.

I was looking for a smaller frame to swap out when I first got it. The smaller frame only gives you about another inch of standover clearance. I don't like the BMX look of more seatpost with the smaller frame either.

Dave.

mtbr member
    I have a 29" inseam and just got the 15.5" frame. I had to get a 410 set-back Thomson post to my leg extension right. Strangely, it is still a little sung in terms of stand-over if I stand forward. I think that's just a 29er issue and it hasn't caused any issues. Three rides and the bike feels like an extension to my body--the fastest I've ever adapted to a new bike! I love it.