Not sure if I made a mistake- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Not sure if I made a mistake

Went in to my LBS today and mentioned I was getting a new titanium frame. The guy told me that Titanium was crap for mountain bikes. He said something about the rear axel height being higher than the front axel, and people have a tendency to go over the handel bars. He also said that titanium does not weld very well. Apparently aluminum is the best material for mountain bikes, except for hardtails then it carbon.

Now, I don't know anything other than what I have read here. People seem to be happy with their bikes. Although, most of you seem to ride 29ers, and I am waiting for my 26er.

What do you all think.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    You can weld titanium like any metal. Also, the axel locations is how the bike is built and designed, not by the type of metal. There's theories on all types of frame design and material. If it was a poor choice, no one would make it as it would cost the companies loads of money buying titanium and then repairing/warrantying them.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rdickens48 View Post
    Went in to my LBS today and mentioned I was getting a new titanium frame. The guy told me that Titanium was crap for mountain bikes. He said something about the rear axel height being higher than the front axel, and people have a tendency to go over the handel bars. He also said that titanium does not weld very well. Apparently aluminum is the best material for mountain bikes, except for hardtails then it carbon.

Now, I don't know anything other than what I have read here. People seem to be happy with their bikes. Although, most of you seem to ride 29ers, and I am waiting for my 26er.

What do you all think.
    I have never heard a bigger load of crap. Please go to the LBS and kick him in the nutz, twice. FWIW, I am a welder, I do it for a living and I have never heard more misinformation in one statement. Not one true point in the entire thing. Enjoy your new ride, find a new LBS.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    just....wow...

mtbr member
    Thanks for the posts guys. I posted this out of frustration, and lack of real world knowledge of titanium. I do have another LBS I can go to, which I do in order to get the headset installed and steerer tube cut down. Unfortunately, this LBS is the one that sells the tires I like. I will probably buy some spares off the Internet for when I need one in the future, just takes a long time to reach me in the desert. As far as the welds, he was trying to feed me some crap about the discoloration of titanium when it is heated. He made it sound like this weakened the metal. He thinks titanium is good for parts, but not MTB frames.

My bike is finally on its next leg to me. Hopefully only 2 to 3 more weeks to go.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rdickens48 View Post
    Thanks for the posts guys. I posted this out of frustration, and lack of real world knowledge of titanium. I do have another LBS I can go to, which I do in order to get the headset installed and steerer tube cut down. Unfortunately, this LBS is the one that sells the tires I like. I will probably buy some spares off the Internet for when I need one in the future, just takes a long time to reach me in the desert. As far as the welds, he was trying to feed me some crap about the discoloration of titanium when it is heated. He made it sound like this weakened the metal. He thinks titanium is good for parts, but not MTB frames.

My bike is finally on its next leg to me. Hopefully only 2 to 3 more weeks to go.
    Ti is one of the best materials for bicycle frames, especially when done right. I have seen the Moto's and the welds are pretty good, no worries. Enjoy it, Good luck.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I would never go to that bike shop again even if it means waiting longer to get parts.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the nice words. You have definitely made me feel better. I am extremely excited to show the bike to you all when it is done.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    The discoloration he is talking about is when Ti is improprerly welded by not being purged correctly.
    In a way he was telling the truth,sort of,about that.
    The rest is BS.
    Go ride and have fun.
    LS

mtbr member
    I have a Ti moto with about 5K km on it and the welds are just fine and I have yet to go over my handle bars. Why do lbs spew out such crap? The welds actually look better than any other bike I have owned. Clean and no discolouration. The bike has fantastic ride quality and would buy another without worry.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Correct me if I'm wrong. Axle height is dependent on wheel and tire size. Unless you run a larger wheel tire combo on the rear of the bike the rear axle will be the same height as the front.