noob question...Mountain bike or Cyclocross?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010

noob question...Mountain bike or Cyclocross?

Ok, so I'm on the mountain bike forums asking whether to get a cyclocross or mountain bike. DUH... Anyway, I have (the wife is permitting) roughly a max of $500 I want to spend and have been looking at either the 700ht or Fantom CX Cyclocross. With the mountain bike I'm in northern Chicago burb's so the only "trails" I have are gravel and not very demanding. I see a lot of cyclocross bikes on it, thats where I got the idea. I do like to play around a bit, but I primarly would be using my bike for excercise/commuting. My soon to be brother in law has Trek 3700 that I rode around a little bit- he has slicks on it and it is pretty fast. I'm just confused and need some guidance!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    For that kind of riding, I'd give the cyclocross bike the nod. I have both a Moto Ti Road Bike and a mountain bike, and I wish I had just gotten one cyclocross bike since I mostly just commute and only occasionally ride trails, and the cyclo cross bikes have braze ons for a rack if you ever decide u want to carry stuff.

S*it Happens!
    For places to ride… look up cambr.org.

Plenty of good trails in the Chicagoland area. However, if you just want to go out and get a workout and enjoy the day. I would go with CX bike.

A CX bike would make a better commuter.
    -_0
    _ `\<,_
    (+)/ (+)
    Like life…the trail is unpredictable...

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I think I might do the mountain bike- I keep thinking how much crap I put my $80 wally world special mountain bike through and wouldn't have the heart to destroy a cyclocross bike. Now here is the kicker- I was going to hold out till winter but I have ants in my pants. I'm looking at the 600ht ($100 cheaper and easier to convince the lady) but they are sold out of my size... I did a quick google serach for 600ht 2011 and came up with this - http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...e_600HT_xi.htm it's not listed on there site at all so maybe I lucked out? Anyway, am I crazy or is this bike almost same specs as a cheaper Trek 3700? I don't know much about specs but right off the bat the shocks are the same.

S*it Happens!
    You're not Crazy...

The Motobecane 600HT VS Trek3700 disc

The price on these two are about the same, with the Trek, coming out a bit more. The Motobecane, has 24 speeds as compared to the Treks 21 speeds.

They share the same forks but, the Motobecane, comes with a lockout. They also share the same type of disc brakes… Tektro, The Motobecane runs with IO’s and the Trek runs with Novela. They work the same and have the same features.

The frames for the Motobecane & Trek, are made by the same manufacture.

The derailleur’s on the Trek are unknown, as they don’t state. Still, the Motobecane, comes out ahead. More gears, Lockout and cost less.

I know for fact, the Fantom I had never let me down…

Good Luck!
    -_0
    _ `\<,_
    (+)/ (+)
    Like life…the trail is unpredictable...

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    We just picked up a 700HT for my wife and its VERY nice for the price. Go with the MTB and if needbe, swap out tires to something less aggresive. I think you'd always want more if you got the CX bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Just pulled the trigger on the Fantom Trail HT. What can I say? $200 more, but world of a difference. I figure with this bike I have a frame I can build up on, but a killer bike in the meantime.

Members who have read this thread: 0