No Bikes at BD!!!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Bonking ... not feelin' well No Bikes at BD!!!

First of all, I'm new to this forum. Been lurking for a while now. Good stuff!

I've spent the last month or so deliberating between different 29ers and finally decided to bite the bullet last night and place a deposit on the upcoming Titanium Motobecane 29er.
    $1800 is a lot for me right now, but I couldn't resist given the parts spec. I went to checkout on BD's site and guess what...

SOLD OUT!!!

I then figured that this was probably a sign I shouldn't be spending $1,800 on a bike at this time anyway and decided to order the Fantom Pro SL 29er instead for $999.

SOLD OUT!!!

Just for fun, I thought I'd see if they had any Fantom Pro 29ers available. Yep, you guessed it.

I emailed BD to see what the story is and am waiting for a reply.

Frustrated that I spent so much time trying to decide which bike to buy when none of them were even available in the first place.

Just venting. I need a new bike!! My antique M50 just isn't cutting it anymore!

Oct 2005
    New formula on the first poster, lately. Thanks mike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    ????

Bushwacker
    Quote Originally Posted by AltRox
    ????
    I see this guy trolling around on every obscure thread on Mtbr. He posts either a know it all comment or some bizzare statement like this. All you can do is shake your head and ignore him.
    When I'm not windsurfing, I'm mountain biking

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I assume you're referring to the chicken guy, not me?

Anyway, I got an answer from Mike at BD and their customer service rep. that the Fantom Pro 29 SL is on it's way over the ocean.

I was considering the Windsor Cliff 29er Team instead since it's in stock right now.

Anybody have any thoughts about which offers more bang for the buck between the two?

Bushwacker
    I assume you're referring to the chicken guy, not me?

Anyway, I got an answer from Mike at BD and their customer service rep. that the Fantom Pro 29 SL is on it's way over the ocean.

I was considering the Windsor Cliff 29er Team instead since it's in stock right now.

Anybody have any thoughts about which offers more bang for the buck between the two?
    Yes, not you.
    When I'm not windsurfing, I'm mountain biking

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Both bikes are very comparble and good deals if you can work on them yourself. Biggest difference is shimano vs sram in the drivetain, personal preference really... Advantage of the Windsor is if you have a Fuji dealer local you can get a feel for sizing and geotry and it's available now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Don't worry about the Chicken guy, he's a thread hijacking troll that lives in a dark cave in East Germany and keeps a bike in a closet somewhere. I think he has problems integrating into society... no wonder why...

AltRox: I had a similar disappointment last year (and similar post) and just had to wait for the next model year. I only wanted the components for a custom frame, but liked the geometry and the ride so much (aluminum Fly) that I am keeping it all together for an easy 24 hour race in Munich in a couple of weeks.

If I knew I would have liked the frame so much, I would have waited for and purchased the titanium model.

G.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    i ordered a motobecane frantom trail today and i called the number were u can do a payment over the phone and i asked her first if she is able to check stock and she said yes. so she did and she said they had them in in my size and color then i paid. then later on the evening i got a tracking number in my email though it only says billing information has been received so i beileve it hasnt actually shipped yet. try to give them a call and see whatt they have in stock

Jun 2008
    ^^^^ Dude's name IRL is Lou Zerr.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Well this story looks like it may have a happy ending after all.

I test rode a Fuji 29er at a LBS to see if I should just order the Windsor. I didn't love it. So I decided I'd wait for the Moto Fantom Pro SL instead.

I sent another PM to Mike from BD to find out if there was a way to get on a waiting list for one since they are sold out on his site. I also mentioned that the bike I REALLY wanted was the Fly Team Ti 29er.

Turns out he had a 19" Fly Team Ti 29er available! He had a few of these bikes sent over by air freight for magazines to review. He was still in possession of a new 19" bike. Needless to say, I jumped at the opportunity.

Sent payment this morning and the bike is supposed to ship Monday.

Mike seems like great guy who replies to his emails very quickly. Very impressive customer service from the owner of what seems like a pretty busy company.

I'm beyond psyched!

Will post pics and first impressions when it arrives...

Nov 2008
    Regarding the Fuji / Windsor, Perfomance Bike was running a special on the Fuji Pro and I went to check it out. I was expecting to need a Large (6'1", 35" inseam, fairly short torso, long arms). Unfortunately, they only had Medium. They told Medium was right, but I found it much too cramped.

Not being totally impressed with the Fuji in Medium, I still took the chance on the Windsor Team in Large. When I got it home (from Cycle Spectrum) and rode it a bit, it still just did not feel right. I felt far too upright. I flipped the stem over to -6 and there it was. Perfect. Very very happy with it now.

Two morals of the story...don't necessarily believe everything you're told at the LBS and it's amazing how different a bike can feel with different stem geometry.

Now considering you're shopping for the Ti, you probably pretty into bikes and know all this, but I still thought it might be worth mentioning for others.

Bob

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by foglesre
    Two morals of the story...don't necessarily believe everything you're told at the LBS and it's amazing how different a bike can feel with different stem geometry.

Bob
    Agreed! I put a 110mm stem on mine and trimmed an inch of the bars and it was a night and day difference in the handling and feel of the bike!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Does anyone know approximately when the 2010 models will be available? There are no more Fly bikes in my size.

Jun 2008
    Went to order my Fantom 29PRO today and everything is still out of stock. I couldn't wait until the 2010's come in and this is my second Motobecane, so I thought I would move up to the Fantom 29PRO SL, and it's in stock. Hopefully I'll have as good as luck as I did with my 29er PRO.

mtbr member
    WTF are you doing here? Do you own a bike from Motobecane/bikesdirect? If you do not - why do you care?

Jun 2008
    What do you mean Curmy, WTF am I doing here? What are you a retard? My posting says this will be my second Motobecane so that would mean I already have one. My son started riding so I gave him my 2006 and I ordered the Fantom 29PRO SL.
    Thatís why I donít ever post on these forums because of guys like you that have thousands of postings and sit around and bash everyone. You probably donít even ride because youíre to busy posting on these forums.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Reading comprehension 101

Curmy was talking to Jerk_Chicken (see the quote).

Jerk has a habit of calling everyone who posts anything that's not-negative (it could be a positive or review, or even an innocent question about a bike) about BikesDirect an advertising shill for the company.

It has nothing to do with you.

Good luck with whatever you decide to get.

Jun 2008
    Sorry about that Curmy, I didnít realize that was for Jerk_Chicken, I guess thatís another reason for me not to post replies. Please except my apology. Thanks fireflock for straightening me out. I did get the 29er SL ordered, canít wait for it to arrive.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    It's no reason not to reply. It takes a while to get the hang of who's talking to who on the longer threads. It can be confusing at times.

Enjoy the bike. The ProSL wasn't around when I got my Fantom29 Pro. I would have had a tough time choosing between the two (of course, the SL would be the right choice!).

Members who have read this thread: 0