Newb. Honest opinions on Fantom Comp?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Newb. Honest opinions on Fantom Comp?

I am looking for my first fs, and a forum member has offered to sell me his used Fantom Comp frame. He will include fork, headset, and shock. I ride single track 2-3 times a week. I live in metropolitan Detroit area, and hardly ever travel more than an hour to a trail. For those that are familiar with the area I ride Novi tree farm, Pontiac lake, island lake, and holdridge. I am a relative newb, been trail riding for 2 seasons, and an avid cyclist for 5 yrs. My reasons for wanting an FS are the shoulder injury, back and knee problems I have as of late. Also, I consider myself a borderline clyde at 5'9" and 225lbs.

My questions are:

How is the build quality of this frame? Does it compare to the big names? Can I expect at least 3 seasons of use from it? Is my weight an issue? Will the frame's performance grow with my skill?

I plan to move all the components from my hardtail to this frame. In the end it will be an incredibly economic option for what I hope to be a capable full suspension rig.

Thanks
    Zack
    Last edited by thunderzy; 09-19-2010 at 07:41 PM.

DynoDon
    Hey Zack if you want to ride a 2009 Motobecane Fantom Comp let me know, I'll meet you at Maybury in Novi and let you ride my back up bike, it's like new, with Oury Grips, Protege 9.0 wireless computer, Shaimano SPD pedals, I can put the flats back on or if you have a pair of peddles you prefer we can put them on. it has a seat clamp too, it can be adjusted for your size easily, this bike has all the standard componets on it, Panaracers, 130mm RS Tora forks/stock spring, RS 3.2 Ario rear shock, both set at 5 inches, Shimano XT rear Deraileur, SLX front Deraileur, Juicy 3 hydralic brakes, I weigh about the same as you, I set it up stiff, I haven't ridden it since I got my 2010 Fantom Team.
    Just give me a day and time I'll bring the extra bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Thanks for the offer, I think I'll take you up on it. What size is the frame? Flat pedals will work. I can do it tomorrow morning if that will work for you. I can be at maybury by 10am. Never been on that trail. Pm me your number and I will get a hold of you.

DynoDon

Motobecane Test Ride

Zack and his friend Sam both took a ride on my Fantom Comp, Zack is now more serious about getting the Fantom Comp frame and moving the parts from his Rockhopper over to the Motobecane, he has a good plan and some good componets, his Fantom Comp may wind up as light or lighter then my Fantom Team, and for around $500. Thats before he sells the Rockhopper frame and forks.
    I'm glad I got to help Zack out on his Motobecane and hope to ride with him when he gets it completed.
    It will be great to see another Motobecane out on my local trails, I do see some, but alway enjoy seeing another one.
    If you get a chance to let someone test ride your Moto, I'd say it's a good experience and worth the time. There are dealers but not in most areas, and Zack got to ride a great trail not just a parking lot with some curbs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Can I get a list of those parts he's going to use to make it lighter then the Team ?

DynoDon
    I'm the one that wrote that he may end with a Comp as light or lighter then my Team, he took my bike for a ride, he's taking parts off his current bike, then selling that frame/forks, the Comp he is looking at has Fox forks on it, so by the time he recoups the money from his current frame/forks, that will probably pay for the Comp frame/forks, or more, he has a good plan, and it looks like he will be ending up with a nice bike for a very low price, is what I ment. I don' t know if it'll be lighter then my Team, but it will be close, I sure want to see it when its finished.

banned
    Apr 2010
    Wow, interesting. A motobecane thread, where all the posters are new.

Members who have read this thread: 0