New Wheels on my Fantom SL!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New Wheels on my Fantom SL!

Maiden ride was today. At the moment they are running tubes. I can't say I could feel any difference from the stock wheels, but I didn't expect to. They are lighter, truers, and spin more readily in a stand, but I have no idea if that affects my riding. I did want quality, durable, hand-built wheels that will last for years. I do expect to feel a change once I'm switched to tubeless and at lower pressure. Hopefully that will happen within the next week.

Wheels built from: Flow 29er Rims, Hope Pro II hubs, DT Comp Butted Spokes, DT alloy nipples

The rear hub is pretty loud! I read about how loud they were, but its something that's still pretty impressive in person. I kinda like it, but I may quiet it down since my GF isn't a fan of the racket.

I think I can comfortable say I have a pretty high bling level now. A new front tire and seatpost will likely make its way on pretty soon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Wheels on my Fantom SL!-wheels001.jpg  

New Wheels on my Fantom SL!-wheels003.jpg  

New Wheels on my Fantom SL!-wheels002.jpg  

Last edited by Slee_Stack; 06-19-2010 at 01:49 PM.

mtbr member
    very nice

where did you get them?

how much lighter are they than the stock rims?
    It is possible for rice to absorb other odors in storage. Or could be the quality of water in it was prepared. Mahatma Rice

mtbr member
    I ordered the parts and had them assembled locally.

I haven't weighed anything. I don't have a scale nor bothered to ask the shop to weigh them.

They are lighter, but weight was WAY down on my list. I wanted durability, true, easy tubeless, ability to hold a wider tire (down the road), moderate cost, good looks, and then lighter weight. I suppose brand name probably was lower on my list than weight.

Although weight does matter to me a 'little' on my road bike, I couldn't care much less about it on a mountain bike. In fact, I kind of laugh when people talk about shaving 50g off here and there. Maybe I'm jaded about stripping my 'light' XT cranks and having to walk my bike off the trails. Durability is now far-and-away what I care about off-road.

The price wasn't cheap, about $575 said and done. Had I the skills (or rather confidence) to build the wheels myself, I could have saved about $100. They are bang-on true and seem very solid thus far.

S*it Happens!
    Not cheap for sure… over half the price of the entire bike. Still Sweet!
    -_0
    _ `\<,_
    (+)/ (+)
    Like life…the trail is unpredictable...

mtbr member
    Actually $575 isn't bad for Hope hubs and ZTR tubeless! Nice ride!

In Transit
    Nov 2009
    Are those Hopes a lot louder than the stock Gravity hubs? Having only ridden Shimano hubs up until that point, I was a little confused about the loud ripping sound on fast downhills until I realized that it was coming from the rear hub.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slee_Stack
    Although weight does matter to me a 'little' on my road bike, I couldn't care much less about it on a mountain bike. In fact, I kind of laugh when people talk about shaving 50g off here and there. Maybe I'm jaded about stripping my 'light' XT cranks and having to walk my bike off the trails. Durability is now far-and-away what I care about off-road.
    Bingo. My basic thought is the average mtb weighs ~30lbs, plus or minus a couple and the "light" ones weigh ~20lbs plus or minus.

I'd rather have a few extra pounds on the bike and be sure I can ride than have something lighter that I have to worry about.
    KHS
    Motobecane
    Fisher
    Kona

Pimpmobile
    Mar 2010
    Very nice set of hoops!

Off topic, do you have any issues with that Cateye wireless with the transmitter mounted on the seat stay?
    "Fear not the ob-stackles in your path"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GiddyHitch
    Are those Hopes a lot louder than the stock Gravity hubs? Having only ridden Shimano hubs up until that point, I was a little confused about the loud ripping sound on fast downhills until I realized that it was coming from the rear hub.
    Night-and-day louder. Really.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HamfisT
    Off topic, do you have any issues with that Cateye wireless with the transmitter mounted on the seat stay?
    Not yet. It's a VDO transmitter. I recall having to adjust it once. Otherwise, it stays put and never gets knocked. Never an issue with transmitting.

mtbr member
    I finally went tubeless a few days ago. It was surprisingly painless. The rear tire took a few hours to fully seal. The front was near instant.

I installed a Panaracer Rampage 2.35 on the front. I dropped 7psi front and 5psi back (28psi / 30psi) off the original setup. The ride is 'plusher' now. Noticeably better traction all around, mainly in front due to the fatter, more aggressive tire, but also less rear slip when mashing up hill. I'm pretty happy with it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Wheels on my Fantom SL!-tire01.jpg  

Members who have read this thread: 0