New purchase: 700DS or Fantom DS Trail- Mtbr.com

Mar 2009

New question here. New purchase: 700DS or Fantom DS Trail

Hello,

I'm looking to get my first "real" MTB and have narrowed it down to the 700DS or Fantom DS Trail. From what I've been reading, it's highly recommended to replace the rear coil on the 700DS (more $$$) so my thinking is just spend the $200 more on the Fantom which doesn't seem to have the rear suspension issues out of the box. Does this make sense, as I really don't want to have to upgrade parts on a new bike (for now).

Thanks all.

JonC

Bushwacker
    Yah, I'd say your right. They have the same shock and close to the same fork but the Fantom's frame design is better and may hide the the deficiencies of the lame stock shock better. I reccomend the 700 to someone who wants a full susp. but only has $300/$400 and may be able to stretch it to the 700 price range. Now that they upped the price of the 700 there are alot more alternatives. I own a 700 too and love it but I had to do some careful planning and pickup a different fork/shock before I was really happy with it.
    When I'm not windsurfing, I'm mountain biking

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    definetly go with the fantom, it has a much better rear suspension design and would be the better choice for a platform to upgrade parts on

Mar 2009
    thanks, guys. it's a done deal. fantom get here thursday.

Now it's time to lose this winter tire around my waist.

Members who have read this thread: 0