New old 700HT - What to check?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2015

New old 700HT - What to check?

Hi, all. Old school mountainbiker that's been off of knobbies for many years here. My son just started riding, so I picked up a like-new 2007 Moto 700HT off of Craigslist for $250 so I can ride around with him. The guy I bought it from is a local roadie who rode it a few times and put it away. Everything on it is mint. I doubt it's rolled a hundred miles.

I can handle all of the mechanical work on a bike just fine, but I have two areas where I'm a noob.

1. Disc brakes. Never had a set. These are Tektro Aquila mechanicals. A pointer towards a page that shows proper setup would be much appreciated, as would any other advice. They don't seem out of whack now, but I probably wouldn't know it if they were. I don't think they've even settled in yet.

2. Rock Shox Judy TT forks. The only suspension forks I ever had were on my last mtb, about 20 years ago when they were new-fangled and bottoming-out was just what they did. I've read up enough here to know the Judy TT isn't much of a fork. My plan is to ride it until it goes kablooey then switch to a rigid steel fork. How should I check 'em out in the meantime? What to look for? They spring and sproing just fine and smoothly with my 200 lbs pushing down on them. Is there some oiling or such to do on new old forks that have been gathering dust for 7 years?

By way of context, I'm a city rider in flatlands and bunny-hopping obstacles is about the extent of thrashing this thing will see.

mtbr member
    Lots of YouTube videos for disc brake setup. Just search "disc brake bike caliper alignment". In regards to the fork, for now, clean the stanchions. Everything else will come in time if you decide to do any rebuild. For a rigid fork, if go with the nashbar rigid mountain bike fork. Disc brake mounts, suspension corrected for length, chromoly steel and 1 1/8" steer tube. $50

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Thanks. Off to Youtube.

Question: is it worth selling the Judy forks while they're nearly new and getting back at least some of the cost of the rigid fork, or just ride 'em till they blow and then replace? (At their weight, they kinda blow now.)

mtbr member
    Best I think you might get $20 for the judy if you can actually find a buyer. It's 8 years old, and in shock years, that's really old, even if it is basically NOS. I'd say it's worth it to keep it, use it, and then see if you want to change to rigid later on.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    That's what I figured. Thanks.

mtbr member
    If you want a rigid fork, now's a good time to grab it. 20% off and free shipping when you grab $10 worth of extra stuff, which I've found is unfortunately very easy to do.

Nashbar Rigid Mountain Bike Fork

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Thanks! I figured out I need a longer seatpost, too.