New MotoFantom 29PRO Arrived!!- Mtbr.com
    ~Reformed Mechanic~

New MotoFantom 29PRO Arrived!!

Got everything in today from BD.com! Shipping was very fast, response to emails were prompt and helpful, so far im pleased. Bike was slightly banged up in the shipping process but nothing that left scuffs or permanent marks so far that I can tell. Got everything put together without too many issues. Took a bit longer than I thought but Im very careful about stuff when I prob coulda just slapped it all together.

Took it for a 15 min tour around the neighborhood and overall was very nice. With the exception of the brakes, im pretty pleased.

To further explain the brake issues I had...

I was pretty disappointed that I didnt receive the elixir brakes. Website states "Avid Juicy or Elixir for Disc Brake, Most are Elixir". There were 3 parts on the bike that were "one or the other" options. In every single case I received the lesser/cheaper of the optional parts, which is kind of dissapointing...

Makes me wonder if Im just the one unlucky guy out of a bunch?...

To add to the brake disappointment, they had clearly spilled brake fluid on the brake levers which did a real nice job chewing through the paint and causing some nasty corrosion on both sides, see below:

I plan on contacting bd.com to see if there is something they are willing to do about the brakes and Ill keep you guys posted. Anyone whos on the fence with ordering a bike online, Id say go for it
    Last edited by Ace5high; 05-09-2011 at 11:41 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    They will replace those brakes. Hopefully with a set of Elixirs.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    From my experience, bd.com is great in regards to customer service. I had an issue with the fork on a bike I bought last fall, and they sent a replacement within a couple days.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace5high
    I was pretty disappointed that I didnt receive the elixir brakes. Website states "Avid Juicy or Elixir for Disc Brake, Most are Elixir". There were 3 parts on the bike that were "one or the other" options. In every single case I received the lesser/cheaper of the optional parts, which is kind of dissapointing...
    I got Juicys here too. I cant complain considering how cheap this bike is.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Congrats on the bike...FYI mine came with juicys too, in fact I haven't seen a single post of anyone who got elixirs on this bike. Oh well, it's a great deal. I went for a quick 5 mile ride last night, love the bike. They should replace those brake levers for you.

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Quote Originally Posted by sltOT
    I got Juicys here too. I cant complain considering how cheap this bike is.
    Glad to hear im not the only one then. I had seen few posts with elixirs. I would have been satisfied with the juicy's (if they were not tarnished) since it is a great value for sure

Only other thing I noticed, and this may just be a 29er thing... But the distance from the petals to the back of the front tire (when slightly turned) isnt much at all. My toes will get caught on the front tire when Im pedaling and turning same time. I measure 3" of clearance with petals forward and tire turned.. Could I just be riding with my feet too far forward? Is this normal?

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Dang! I just realized that the RockShox Tora 318 Air that came on the Pro is almost a $400 fork !! Nice Job BD !

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Enjoy your new bike, I commend for not flying off the handle over the damaged brake levers, I'd be shocked if BD did not take good care of you. Let us know how it all turns out.

As far as the toe rub, it's called overlap and it's pretty common with 29ers due to the larger wheel. The conventional foot position is for the balls of your feet to be centered on the pedals. If you use clipless pedal/shoes or the old fashion mountain clips, you won't have this problem, as they position your feet in this manner. It takes some getting use to but once you get use to it, you won't want to go back.

Very nice bike for the money, good choice.

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Update!

I heard back from a rep at BD but was told my message was being forwarded to their service department, so im still waiting a reply to the problem.

Also, I had a real good chance to take the Moto out for some testing, was on for about 1.5 hours today on some good dirt and pavement, Im SUPER impressed!! Not only with the bike overall but with it being 29". I absolutely LOVE the large wheels. Feels way more comfortable just the way it handles, I feel more planted and very smooth riding. I really cant say enough about it.

My problem at this point is my arse is SO dang sore after the first two days of riding

I even replaced the Speed V seat today with Serfas Dual Density Gel saddle (much softer) which helped a bit, not a whole lot.

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Brakes Update!

Heard back from Matt today at Bd.com he informed me that Avid will be sending me out a brand new set of their Elixir 3 brakes to replace the damaged ones!!! Nice Job BD.com!!

These guys really are great with responding and providing support for their products they get two from me!

Members who have read this thread: 0