New Motobecane 529HT owner- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2014

New Motobecane 529HT owner

New forum member here from East Tennessee. After a lot of searching for a 29er, I made the decision to purchase the 529HT this past weekend. The UPS guy brought it around noon today. As luck would have it, I had a string of meetings today and got home late. I gave the box a once over and all was good, not crushed and no holes. All the parts were there and the packing was good. It took me about two hours to assemble the bike. This is my first bike with disc brakes. I still need to tweak everything and make sure I haven't missed something. The fork was different than advertised on the BD web site. The sticker on the fork said SF 15-XCT-DS-HLO-29-100. It has a lockout which I was not expecting. I almost purchased the Fantom 29 sport to get the lockout but wanted the Hydro brakes more. The frame on the 29 sport has the exact same geometry as the 529HT. I could not find any difference at all between the two frames. I could be missing something, not sure. All that said, I am very pleased with the bike and look forward to riding it. I have read a lot of comments about Bikes Direct and I am glad I purchased from them. I also would like to thank those who posted reviews on the 529HT it helped make my choice easy.
    Thanks, Stage Hand

mtbr member
    Weird they threw a lockout on yours. One thing on mine 19" is that it also has a 110mm stem site stated having a 90mm. Doesn't really matter to me have a new stem and handlebars coming post soon. And invested in some nice tires as well coming post tomorrow. Going to hit some singletracks this weekend with mine. Any pics?

Land of the 230+
    I see both pages link to the fantom geometry chart, which I don't know if that's correct. Looking at pictures of the two frames side by side, you can see some differences in angles, and most likely therefore lengths. But then again, maybe they have changed the _29HT frame since those pics.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    the lockout was a nice . I also have a 19. The bars are not as wide as I like, but I'm going to give these a chance.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I think if the frames are a different size the angles will be different as well. I could be wrong , just not sure. It fits me very well, I am 6'2 and 265. The frame is a 19".

Land of the 230+
    Yes, that's a good point as well. But aside from the angles, you can see a number of other difference between the HT and the fantom. Where the head tube meets the top and down tubes is different between the two. Also, the rear dropouts and chainstays are very different.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I put them side by side and could see the difference you mentioned, also the cables run on top of the tube on the fantom. The down tube on the HT looks beefier as well. Here are a couple of pics of the fork that came on mine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Motobecane 529HT owner-2014-09-25-17.39.09.jpg  

New Motobecane 529HT owner-2014-09-25-17.39.43.jpg  

mtbr member
    That is awesome I'm a little jealous. Ordered a week to early I guess... One of the reasons I got the 529HT over the Fantom was because of the cable routing. Also liked the look of the bike more. Just couldn't get into the Fantoms decals.

Land of the 230+
    Wow, is that a hydraulic lockout too? That must be new for the oh-fifteen model year. All XCT forks used to be mechanical lockout if I recall. I wonder if it had damping as well? Still, for their lowest level fork, a hydraulic lockout is a big step forward.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    If you go to the SR Suntour website the 2015 catalog is available. It lists the SF 15-HLO-DS-29-100 as new. It does have a hydraulic lockout. I rode quick 4 miles this afternoon on the road and the lockout holds very well. Like I said, I,m 6'2 and 265,and had no issues.

mtbr member
    amazed by the hydraulic lockout. Can't help but wonder if this is a one-off, we ran out of the regular fork, scenario, or if BD is actually shipping the 529 with this on a regular basis. Glad to see suntour is finally putting a better lockout on their entry level forks.

mtbr member
    Most likely they substituted it. I bought one a week earlier and it doesn't have a lockout on it. I've read a few posts about some Motobecanes coming with a upgraded part every so often.

Land of the 230+
    I just sent out an email to BD asking about it. But from the 2015 suntour product catalog, seems like the XCT no longer offers a MLO, only a HLO. Could not ascertain if there is any pre-set damping as well, but I am hopeful there is.

mtbr member
    I have the same fork on my 2015 GT Backwoods Sport I bought online from Performance Bike. Hydraulic lockout and preload adjustment but no adjustable dampening that I know of. Decent fork for a beginner bike I've been happy with it around town and on my local trails. I'm a twig though haha

Land of the 230+
    I contacted BD about reports that they've been shipping HLO forks, and they just stated that the 529HT doesn't come out with lockout of any type. So I guess just count yourself as fortunate.

mtbr member
    Stage hand, if you plan on doing any real trail riding do yourself a favor and invest in some proper tires. Rode a pretty easy trail after getting my bike and the tires just wouldn't hold and forget about if there's roots. I imagine they are fine for greenways and such.
    ***** Don't tell ask! *****

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I thought they were just slow in updating there website. I almost purchased the phantom so I could get the LO, but wanted the hydro brakes more. I rode 7 miles yesterday and the brakes are getting better with each ride. I've been riding on the pavement with the fork locked, and it is very solid. Over all I really like this bike. My goal is to loose weight,and general fitness. Is it safe to ride with the LO in the midway position. I can't find any info except the specs on the Suntour website. Thanks !

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I am not to crazy about the stock tires, they make a lot of noise on the pavement. Looking at different tires now. Hope to do some lite trails soon, nothing to extreme. I rode dirt bikes ( the kind with motor ) back in the 70s, so slow and easy will do just fine now.

mtbr member
    I picked up some Continental Trail Kings (19.95 from backcountry) and really like them but if your mostly riding paved roads and paths you will want to look at some less aggressive treads.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Hey thanks for your info here, really helped me out with my purchase. Love the bike so far, just put it together and took it on my first test drive around the block. This is my first bike since a kid, so just getting the legs back under me. I wanted to note though that mine came with the same lockout.

I saw this post before, but since the other guy didnt get one and it didn't list lockout on the site, I wasn't expecting to get one, but mine has the same lockout! I guess I'll consider myself lucky too, lol. I got a 21"

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Ah, just went to BD site and it lists the SF13, we got the SF15's. Honestly dont know the difference, but sounds like an upgrade, lol

mtbr member
    On the '15 model they introduced a hlo. Hlo is a nice bonus but 100mm travel instead of 80 is better in my opinion. And sad they haven't updated their site because they would sell more bikes if it was known. Buy then they would sell less Fantoms so who knows. I love my 529ht and look forward to riding the hell out of it. Don't regret it for a minute.