New to the forum- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

New to the forum

I just wanted to say Hi to everyone.

I am stuck. Should I get the Fantom 29 or spend a little more for the 29 Pro?

Mostly city/suburb riding on the weekends. As you can see I am not a serious rider (yet).

If I get dont get the Pro, I wonder if I'll regret it. But then again money is a little tight.

what do you think?

Apr 2008
    Can't say which is the better deal for sure but I think the Fantom has quite a bit of bang for the buck and the pro doesn't bring a real difference in components for the added money.
    I have actually been thinking about the same bikes and think maybe I will go Fantom if I can ever get any answers back from the seller about patriculars on the bike. Good Luck!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Welcome to the forum. I think only you can decide which bike is right for you. If you think you are really going to get into riding a lot then I would recommend you get the Pro. Mainly because upgrades are expensive. For instance the cost to upgrade a Fantom 29 to a Fantom 29 Pro would be way more than the cost difference between the two bikes. The 29 comes with a Dart 3 fork, which is a heavy lower end fork. The Tora on the Pro is much better, and you would have to pay $300 to $400 just to buy a Tora. So with the Pro you are getting the most value.

If on the other hand you will just be casually riding and won't have any reason to upgrade then I would recommend you get the Fantom 29.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thanks for the replies. I ordered the 17" 29Pro last night. I was thinking the same in terms of upgrades. It only made sense to get the Pro (even if I an not a serious rider (yet)). I am excited. I wonder how long it will take to ship from bd.

Thanks for the advice. You guys are great here.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I couldn't beleive how fast bikes direct got my bike to me. I think it only took 3 days. I was totally not expecting it when it came.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Cool. I'm counting the days til delivery. I'll take some photos when i get it. I hope the bike is as goods as everyone says it is. =)

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Hey, Im new here. After looking at Fisher, Trek, And Specialized I decided on a Motobecane Fantom Comp HT. How could I not? It seemed like the most bang for the buck, and I've wanted to get away from my LBS's around here for awhile. My bike should be here in the next day or two. I cant wait to try it out, Anyone here have the Fantom Comp HT? I'm hoping it all works out. I'll post pics as soon as this thing comes.

Members who have read this thread: 0