Need help picking one out- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2015

Need help picking one out

My budget is around 500 or less. I'm wondering what is my best bang for my buck. im 6'1 and 31 inch inseam. Some are sold out and not sure where to go on bikesdirect.com ... Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    May 2015
    To go on.. I'll be doing beginner/intermediate type trails and sometimes ride it to the store. College student hence why the low budget and getting a Moto. Thanks in advance for any help.

mtbr member
    Are you good with a wrench? Do you think you could assemble a bike and set up the derailure? If so, bikes direct is good. If got 3 from them, and no complaints about the hard trail bikes. I will say, stay away from the gravity fsx bikes and similar design. The rear end starts to go bad in a couple years. If you haven't checked it out, look for bike island. It's their scratch and dent site. They had a 19" moto fantom 29er on there for $250 without a fork. Buy a good quality rock show or manitou for another $250 and you have a good bike.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Yes, good with a wrench. I have basic tools and can get a few bike specific tools from a friend. Im debating whether or not to buy a $500 bike and put a few hundred dollars into it in the near future. Or, saving up a little more and getting a 700-800 dollar bike.

mtbr member
    Make up your mind yet?

usually getting the better bike up front is the best option. The only time this isn't valid is if you can get a scratch n dent bike at a good price reduction, or if the more expensive bike just doesn't have what you want (ie who puts a cheap suntour XCT fork on a $600 bike, really?)

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Hi, i would like to advise you to buy the Motobecane 550HT or the Motobecane 529HT at your price point, they are both 400$ and they both have Tektro Draco hydraulic disc brakes / SRAM X4 full drivetrains / everything the same except the only thing is that the 550HT is a 26er and the 529HT is a 29er. I currently have the 550HT in the 22.5 inch frame option and the bike is absolutely phenomenal regardless of maybe the front fork suspension (which can be upgraded). For your price point you will not get a better bikesdirect.com bike, other 600$+ bikes have mechanical disc brakes which is not recommendable vs hydraulic disc brakes since they have low end Tektro mechanical disc brakes.