Need help chosing a bike

Printable View

• 09-27-2010
    dave2521
    Need help chosing a bike
    Hey guys, I have come down to two bikes that I am interested in. I just need help with picking out what bike is better. My budget is around $400 so i know both of these are a little high, but I can push my budget a little.

Motobecane 600HT - $429

OR

Dawes Haymaker 1500 - $419

Both bikes' components seem really close. But I was just looking for opinions on what you guys think is the better bike/brand? Also I know the 700HT is a very nice bike but not sure if the additional $80-$90 is worth it for the better components.

Thanks!
  • 09-27-2010
    manabiker
    Of course the 700HT is the one I'd choose, unless you can dig up some more cash, the more you spend the better bike you get. These are all great bikes though. Good Luck
  • 09-27-2010
    pmaz77
    go with the 700HT. It's always better to upgrade components right off the bat, and you're talking under $100.
  • 09-27-2010
    Moto Rider
    Spending more always equals more overall bike in the BD line up. However, if this is the most you really can spend. Then out of the two bikes youíre looking at. I say go with the Motobecane 600ht. The frames are similar however, the slight difference in the motoís seems nicer to me. Overall quality... Iím sure they are close but, I know from experience the Motobecane is a good bike.

I guess it comes down to color. Flat blackÖI know you like it. :D
  • 09-27-2010
    dave2521
    Well I am just getting into MTB and just need a bike that will hold up, because if I do really get into MTB I want to make sure that I spent my money wisely. I also know that I need to budget for accessories, such as helmet, camelback, pump etc.

I was originally looking into bikes around $300, then increased my budget to $400 because I knew i could get a much better bike, now I am interested in going up to $500.

However, I am afraid that the 2010 700ht or evne the 2010 fantom trail will go clearance and have a great price tag on them when the 2011 models come out.

Just a hard choice to make.
  • 09-27-2010
    Moto Rider
    Well, I understand what you're saying but I don’t know what to tell you. BD doesn’t as far as I can tell have normal sales like a bike shop would. There is no guarantee the price will go down just because the 2011 come out. If they don’t make any changes for that year…then there’s no sale.

It’s not like a bike shop where they need to clear floor space to make room. So I guess it’s a waiting game on your part. You could join their email list then you would be informed of upcoming changes.

Here is a link. http://www.bikesdirect.com/deals/

Good Luck!
  • 09-27-2010
    Moto Rider
    You know, Iím a moto fan and I donít like to steer someone away for getting a moto. However, I do understand your situation. Money only goes so far these days.

Have you looked at the Windsor Cliff 4900? Itís almost a 700ht in build with some small changesÖno fork lockout and different wheelset. But I canít see this bike not holding up over time and itís on a final clearance of $399

Plenty of money left over for all the extra gear you may need. Here is a link. http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/..._cliff4900.htm

There are some guys around here riding Windsorís and they seem to like them.
  • 09-27-2010
    dave2521
    I looked into it, but it is sold out in all sizes, and they will not be getting any more
  • 09-27-2010
    Moto Rider
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dave2521
    I looked into it, but it is sold out in all sizes, and they will not be getting any more

I think you must of asked about a different bike. Check the drop down box again. It worked for me and I can order the 17" through paypal. No you're right...i did everything but the checkout and when i did it showed...sold out. Too bad.

Back to the drawing board.
  • 09-28-2010
    manabiker
    Its funny the more you learn the more you want to spend, the frames are about the same on all bikes, except Hardtail and Full Suspension, so it comes down to componets, then when you buy the lower priced bike you wish you had bought the higher priced bike, then you add componets for one reason or another, lighter, shifts better, stops better, and you still want a lighter, better equipped bike, so spend as much as you can afford or a little more and enjoy your bike, good luck.
  • 10-02-2010
    Moto Rider
    Hey Dave,

So what did you decide to do?
  • 10-02-2010
    dave2521
    Decided to go with the 700 ht... higher than what I wanted to spend but great looking bike and the components look good for that price range
  • 10-04-2010
    Moto Rider
    Well, congrats and enjoy.